Author Topic: Dirty Old Town...Again.  (Read 1615 times)

John Divney

• Global Moderator
Dirty Old Town...Again.
« on: February 02, 2017, 01:30:23 PM »
PHE has just published its 'Nothing to see here' Report I see. One thing that never gets mentioned is the effect that a good drug service, an inclusive drug service, one founded on sound Harm Reduction principles, can make to the town in which it is sited. Having our most troubled citizens treated effectively for their addiction, then the hassle that that habit can create for the whole community is lessened. Families, school, crime, prison sentences, health and a whole range of other social issues are ameliorated. Once that service has been replaced by LA commissioners in the name of saving money, by a charity whose underpinning philosophy is Recovery then everything changes. CGL came to Birkenhead two years ago having replaced the NHS Wirral Drug Service for reasons unknown and unexplained. I couldn't care less about CGLs work with problem drinkers, pill poppers, anxious Goths and veterans. Birkenhead is now a dangerous and violent town and has gone back to what it was twenty years ago when scripts were once hard to find. Over the years the NHS service here excelled in the numbers of users they brought into, and more importantly retained in, decent modern MMT. Of late I have never seen so many homeless drug users, so many street drinkers who used to be in treatment with the old service, so many old bag-heads who again used to be in treatment with the old service, all hanging around doing what they do around the DHSS buildings and the cheap bakery shops and off licenses. It is utterly depressing. We now have reports in local papers of used syringes being found in back alleys, alongside a constant flow of stabbings stories, gang fights and violent robberies and muggings. Its not been like this since the early 90s. I put the blame squarely at PHEs door for ensuring that recovery lies at the heart of National drug treatment and that charities like CGL and others are then commissioned by LAs with PHE advice, to get people out of treatment, most before their time and most before they are ready. This is helping no one least of all the people of Birkenhead/Anytown and the dead addicts whose numbers continue to grow to PHEs shame. But as their report says, "Move along please, nothing to see here."

misgog

Re: Dirty Old Town...Again.
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2017, 04:28:31 PM »
Looks like St Helens is getting CGL'd as of 1st Feb ! 

simon

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2017, 04:30:40 PM »
I mentioned it before, last year some friends visited Manchester, they're from Germany. I met them in the afternoon as they were going to see a show in the evening, they were surprised and asked me why there were so many drug users and street drinkers around. I wa surprised they'd noticed but as we walked around it couldn't be more obvious, almost every corner had a handfull of drinkers, drug users, beggars and it seemed to have changed a lot in a short period.
I was concerned enough to email the leader of the council, seemd they'd had a re-tendered drug service start, things were going to get better, joint working and all that, focus on recovery I think was mentioned.
What do I see at home, large number of deaths, loads of people congregating in the town centre, so bad the council got private security to move them on, banks put spikes on the window ledges.
Is our war on drugs going well? Is our treatment of drug users going well? IS the treatment of our drinkers going well? Do we force people to use? Is the death rates rising because people are getting old?

OP8S

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2017, 10:28:30 AM »
Do we force people to use, that's an interesting one especially as far as alcohol goes. Everywhere you look on the telly people are drinking, soap operas revolve around pubs. Very rare to see the negative side of alcohol use broadcast into our homes. Street drugs, well everyone knows that they are bad, apart from some drugs which you get on prescription which are good & helpful.
No surprise that young people try different drugs, the message given to them is very hard to interpret. My opinion is that " drugs is drugs " they can all cause harm but they don't have to if provided & used correctly.
" The problem with the world is that the fanatics are so sure of themselves while the wiser people acknowledge doubts "      Bertrand Russell

simon

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2017, 11:39:09 AM »
Do we force people to use, that's an interesting one especially as far as alcohol goes. Everywhere you look on the telly people are drinking, soap operas revolve around pubs. Very rare to see the negative side of alcohol use broadcast into our homes. Street drugs, well everyone knows that they are bad, apart from some drugs which you get on prescription which are good & helpful.
No surprise that young people try different drugs, the message given to them is very hard to interpret. My opinion is that " drugs is drugs " they can all cause harm but they don't have to if provided & used correctly.
I mean drugs, people are forced off prescriptions or pushed on Subutex, they have little option but to use so they're being forced into it.
As  for alcohol you're old enough to remember when pubs shut in the afternoon, the governmnet wanted a cafe culture, is that what they got?

OP8S

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2017, 02:20:39 PM »
Our local NHS Board has published a report saying that there is problems with the " over-provision " of alcohol in the area, I would agree with that, as far as OST drugs go judging by the decreasing number of people who I used to meet in the one pharmacy that serves up methadone in the town I would guess that there seems to be a " under-provision " of meth & subs these days. Used to always be a few known faces there every time I went to collect my script, certainly no way that all of these people are now abstaining from 30 years of drug use. Instead I notice a lot of younger unknown faces in to collect sharps only.
I try to keep my head down so can't say for sure what's going on, but some of the older users I bump into from time to time have returned to the idea that it's best not to engage with our current drug services " they'll fuck your shit up " as one person told me.
I don't think everyone wants recovery, a lot were quite happy with a script & HR.
" The problem with the world is that the fanatics are so sure of themselves while the wiser people acknowledge doubts "      Bertrand Russell

sapphire

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2017, 04:56:13 PM »
If people are forced off scripts, then I think they ARE forced to use again. If you're in treatment, and that's the only thing stopping you from using, then of course people are going to go back to illicit opioids if their afety net is snatched away from them.

You can see the difference where I live too, from the effects of people being forced out if treatment, and new people not wanting to join because of all the hoops they'd have to jump through.