Author Topic: Home Office Consultation - User Views Needed  (Read 5488 times)

dusty

Home Office Consultation - User Views Needed
« on: September 14, 2009, 05:03:31 PM »
Afternoon all,

I've been asked to do a presentation for the Home Office Drug Strategy Unit on October 9th. They will be preparing a report in 2011 looking at advancements against the current drug strategy and are interested in users' views on

a) what they're doing right, and
b) what else they need to do.

What I want to do is present as full a reflection of user views that I possibly can, so what I propose doing is to concentrate on the key strategic actions in the New Approaches to Treatment and Social Reintegration section, and would therefore really welcome any and all opinions on the following targets and the Government's performance thus far and their future requirements...

1. Develop pilots to test new approaches which can provide end to end management through the system, including a more effective use of pooled funding and individual budgets, and with a sharper focus on outcomes

2. Develop a package of support to help drug users, and particularly those causing the most harm, to access and complete treatment and to reintegrate into society

3. Use opportunities presented by the benefits system to provide support and create incentives to move towards treatment, training and employment

4. Ensure treatment is personalised and outcome-focused, making full use of new treatment approaches that are shown to be effective

5. Draw on significant new funding to support research into developing better forms of treatment

Look forward to hearing what you've all got to say on this topic!

Thanks in advance

Daren

annatwink

Re: Home Office Consultation - User Views Needed
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2010, 01:47:42 PM »
typically you wish to deal with those causing most harm (to society I presume) not the most harm to themselves again women are sidelined as the harm they usually do is to themselves and hidden,inc emotional harm to offspring again not picked up on until too late.

OP8S

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2010, 03:16:37 PM »
Thats a big remit Darren, we'l (well you will) have to get our thinking caps on for sure & present a realistic as well as accurate report possible. I'l not post anything of any depth before I've got something I feel is adequate to add to the debate. I might make one suggestion just now & that is in Scotland we have The Care Commission which oversees the likes of Care Homes for the elderly, disabled etc. They are there to see that basic principles of human rights are being adhered to with core principles like: Individualism, Dignity, Privacy, Equality, Recognising that a client has the right to take risks while attempting to minimise any harm. I have seen a lot of similarities between working in the Care Sector & attending the local meth clinic in as far as you have your key clients, care plans which hold records. Drug Clinics in my eyes should be the same as they are providing care for some people who can be vulnerable for other reasons. So  I will look through their policies for anything that can be applied to the Drug sector. Apart from the illeagalities that surround the use of drugs, it's as simple as caring for another person.
" The problem with the world is that the fanatics are so sure of themselves while the wiser people acknowledge doubts "      Bertrand Russell

ursula

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2010, 11:57:59 AM »
This thread's a year old!  Having said that, we're part of a network of community and voluntary organisations that meets with the Home Office regularly, so if you have got policy ideas you want to have brought to their attention, here might be the thread to post them in.

OP8S

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2010, 05:33:18 PM »
Whoops! I should probably look at the dates a thread started, either that or keep off the grass before posting ;D . I still think that similar policies should be used when providing care to anybody whether they are young, old, use drugs or not though.
" The problem with the world is that the fanatics are so sure of themselves while the wiser people acknowledge doubts "      Bertrand Russell