Author Topic: BBC Panorama - interview subjects wanted!!!!  (Read 12461 times)

mcdermott

• Omar's coming...
BBC Panorama - interview subjects wanted!!!!
« on: October 04, 2010, 10:29:36 AM »
Hi everyone,

BBC Panorama are about to do a programme on the argument that's currently tearing up the drugs field regarding this government's proposals re. drug treatment/methadone/recovery.

As you'd expect, they've got no shortage of people in resi rehab or in long-tern recovery who are prepared to talk about how evil methadone is, and how the green handcuffs kept them enslaved against their will for years and years, until they were introduced to the power of God, the scales fell from their eyes, and they got a post in the Tier 4 sector.

So, I'm looking for people who are smart, intelligent, articulate who can talk about the positive benefits that methadone brought to them and their lives (or subutex, but methadone is more stigmatized so I'm guessing that'd be best).

Ideally, someone currently engaged in economically productive activity would be best -- but it's not essential. Can you PM me or post in this thread if you're interested?

And if there's anyone out there who's active in NUN, perhaps you could post this to their website/mailing list/whatever?

kthxbye

ursula

Re: BBC Panorama - interview subjects wanted!!!!
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2010, 10:39:49 AM »
Might be worth sticking it on their facebook page, Peter.  I'll email it to one of their board too.

U

ursula

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2010, 10:53:47 AM »
I've just realised that I should have put up the usual caveat about working with the media - you need to be absolutely sure that you want to do this sort of thing and understand the consequences that appearing on television can have on your life.   While we wouldn't be publicising this if we weren't reasonably convinced that it was going to provide as balanced a picture as possible (and Panorama's reputation supports that assumption), we can't promise that you won't feel misrepresented if you do take part.

Mark Gilman

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2010, 05:12:43 PM »
Over on the SMMGP forum there are people working in primary care settings with "High Finctioning" MMT patients. Its at the bottom of my thread on 'Building Bridges'

garstang

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2010, 01:26:00 PM »
Hi Mcd,
I just PM'ed you but noticed that your post was on 4th. Has this gone ahead?
P.

banksy

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2010, 03:12:20 PM »
I am always up for extoling the virtues of linctus. I am trying to come off but thats a different story.

steve

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2010, 09:48:32 AM »
Might also be worth bringing up wha I wrote about being treated as an Individual when on their evidence its the total opposite .

[new]skunkworks

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2010, 12:34:12 AM »
I've started 3 successful businesses, bought up 3 well adjusted daughters have no criminal record. I would also be dead without Methadone.

Don't get me wrong, I'm no poster-boy for the whole MMT shebang but I can cobble together a cogent argument for all that is good about opiate replacement therapy.

Hell I might even throw in a little constipated negativity for free.

SW:)

Mattylad

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2011, 12:10:41 AM »
I'm a 20+ year methadone type person(oh yeah!) who holds down a job, working hard 12 hr shifts and am a single dad. I'm reletively intelligent and clued up and would love a pixilated head. Seriously though I'd be willing to show how the "Juice" kept me adding to society and to this crazy world...

Freespiryt

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2011, 12:15:10 AM »
I started my opiate trail with methadone twenty odd years ago, after resigning my job as a drug's outreach worker. Seen it from both sides. I'm currently on 26 mils. It has helped alot recently. No way would i want to be smoking whats on the streets at the moment, it definately has minimised harm for me personally. Woud be happy to share my thoughts on this.

sailingwave

seven

« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2013, 10:26:29 AM »
I would like to contribute but no way would I want my face to be on TV, I have been using Methadone since 1983 and have worked most of my life Methadone is no more evil than alcohol or tobacco. How many tramps do we see in the street out of it on drink but we don't associate being a tramp with going to the pub with your friends on a Friday night, but hey both use the DRUG alcohol...so WHY when I prefer Methadone to the killer alcohol am I then "a junkie" or "dependant" or "a victim" because I am not. Media "interviews" can turn a normal person into a raving "junkie" depending on what they are angling for so beware.

sapphire

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2013, 12:51:44 PM »
I think that's a lot of the problem Seven. Example being that I would love to show people that I am on methadone, as it would likely change their perceptions of what a methadone patient is like, but I fear that it would affect my career etc.

The abstinence brigade that claim methadone does not work because there are no visibly successful MMT patients. I don't think that is true at all, just that those people are really wary of sticking their head above the parapet and being the first to "come out". Kinda like when people came out as gay for the first time when it was not socially acceptable like it is now.

seven

« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2014, 11:52:43 AM »
A  number of years ago I decided I wouldn't hide my use of a certain drug and now most people know and guess what most of the good people say "good for you" the ones that did bleat about "junkies" I said " just go get your drug from your dealer the barman"
People like to make to feel ashamed for not doing as you are told and only take the state drug, but when you go up to them and say I don't care you find you get a lot of respect, they actually realise you can take a drug over 30 years and look normal (im 55 and don't even have grey hair) they realise you don't have to be gaunt and thin and falling apart and that happens because of prohibition...infact I found a couple of old videos of me injecting and NOT falling on my face and they were amazed, they really believed you passed out!
There are way to many myths and lies with drugs, no way did anyone think I took heroin etc, if anything they thought I might smoke a bit of weed (I don't I hate it) and that was because I have long hair!! (and no I don't like heavy metal music)
People don't be ashamed just because small minded fools want to put you in a box and label you, you will find much respect if you stand up and say "stop believing state lies, this is me deal with it or f+++ off"

froude

« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2014, 06:37:15 PM »
Im your man ,defo worked for me ,IT SAVED MY LIFE ,AND I SWEAR BY IT

M.M.T WORKS IF ITS IN CONJUNCTION WITH COUNCILLOR,weekly, then fortnightly ,then even monthly ,but im not talking months im talking years n years with some people ,its taken me 10 yrs ,well spent aswell,driinking the green slurp ,it down to the individual though ,but do not get rid of it ,for what reason ??im now what the JOE PUBLIC WOULD CALL"CURED" ,PMSL,no i dont lie .I can OFFICALLY SAY HEROIN OR CRACK IS NO LONGER IN MY BRAIN OR VOCABULARY .

cheers IAN FROUD   FROUDE 
THERE ARE A LOT OF PSYCHOPATHS IN PRISON,UNFORTUNATELY MOST ARE STAFF<br />One Half Of The World Cannot Understand The Pleasures Of The Other