Author Topic: New Consultation Survey  (Read 13004 times)

Ken Stringer

New Consultation Survey
« on: September 18, 2011, 08:49:54 PM »
We're trying to get a quick snapshot of people's current experience of drug treatment - particularly in terms of substitute prescribing. We want to use this information to drive a bigger piece of research which we hope will help us campaign more effectively around service users rights in treatment. We would very much appreciate it if people could take some time (there are only a very few questions) and help us by filling this in.

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/ZH8QTQM

Thanks

Ken
The Alliance

Ken Stringer

Re: New Consultation Survey
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2011, 08:30:49 PM »
Hi -

20 people have read this posting but only three have completed the survey. Any ideas about how we can get it a wider circulation - would be very grateful for anyone who could get us more responses. Thing is I need to be able to evidence this, and while this is a long way from scientific, it could be a good start for us in pushing the issue!

Ken

OP8S

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2011, 12:22:22 PM »
Well that's four! It's a shame when so many people complain about their treatment that they don't have the time to fill in surveys that can be done in less than 20mins. It's easy to think that it won't make any difference, but it'l make even less difference if you don't bother your arse to fill it in.
" The problem with the world is that the fanatics are so sure of themselves while the wiser people acknowledge doubts "      Bertrand Russell

sapphire

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2011, 02:47:57 PM »
I know OP,no point in moaning if when the Alliance ask only 4 people fill it in!!

Considering how crappy treatment is I would have thought far more people would want to have their say, it is anonymous if you want ti to be so can't see why more people haven't filled it in.

I don't know where you might get a bigger audience Ken, I loathe to sugesst places like Wired In as the survey would then be skewed from a more abstinence is best point.

OP8S

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2011, 04:12:36 PM »
Hi Ken, pleased to meet you as it were. :)
I was begining to wonder if the post had been filled at all but I see now that you have been very busy for the best part of the year. Could the Alliance admin send the link via a PM to every site user ? I'm sure that many people may have moved on & are possibly not even in treatment anymore but there are loads of forum users who do not visit the site as regularily as some. Maintenance prescribing does seem to be a hot topic just now. A few years ago the only person who would ask me what dose I wanted was my GP, now in the last year I have been feeling the pressure of my CDT or key to reduce. My GP has known me for years & has dealt with my chronic depression as well as other medical problems that I have had. He is the only single person that actually knows me , also working alongside me in my occupation on a regular basis. He himself has no problems with me wanting to remain maintained. What I do find worrying is that the CDT that he prescribes for is not run by anybody who is a medically trained professional & the policies that come down from above are not made by anybody with any medical training. It appears that while prescribing for the CDT he must follow " their " policies, even when they may be ones that he disagrees on.
It's sheer madness, anybody would think that these CDT's / DSPs would have at the head of them somebody trained specifically on addiction & the surrounding issues, but my GP is the only one with such training & can be overuled on a desicion by those above him. Often the people above him are quite clueless about the realities of addiction / drug use with their expertise lying more in the field of policy making, economics etc. More like businessmen / women. Is this a sign of things to come ? With the re-structuring of the NHS are we going to become another one of the American states ? I sincerely hope not.
" The problem with the world is that the fanatics are so sure of themselves while the wiser people acknowledge doubts "      Bertrand Russell

Ken Stringer

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2011, 06:13:44 PM »
Hi There - that's a really good idea. I'm not sure if we can technically do it, but I'm going to have a go. I very much appreciate your supportive comments. I'm actualy only 2.5 days a week at the moment and a bit snowed under just trying to keep our heads above water. I'm sorry I've not been able to have a higher profile here. But nice to meet you too :-)

I'm really concerned about the stories we're getting back but do need to be able to evidence this. The survey is just a start, but if we can produce a report which includes some stories of how this is actually affecting people it could be a useful start.

Jimmy

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2011, 07:45:10 PM »
Hey Ken

Thats my survey in as well. Sorry it's a bit late.

Cheers
Jimmy

MattYorks :) :-)

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2011, 07:24:33 PM »
Done it for you guys. Just leting you know so that others can see that it still needs more people's views and that.

Ken Stringer

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2011, 09:00:39 PM »
Really appreciate every response. We have 20 now, which feels healthier, but I really want to try and get it up to the 100 mark. Beryl has put it on some otehr lists, but if you are part of any mailing lists or other forums, please share it there if you get a chance.

Ken

MattYorks :) :-)

« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2011, 09:05:01 PM »
And on this link please help Ken with his drug treatment survay, as it is your treatment and that does count! http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/ZH8QTQM

ShineOn

« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2011, 09:26:49 AM »
I've just completed the survey - it was quick and easy to fill in - and I'd encourage anyone who hasn't already completed it to do so.

Hopefully the results of these consultations and surveys can be used to influence and change current and future drug treatment policies and decision-making.

Shine  ::)

OP8S

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2011, 01:16:44 PM »
If I printed up a few copies ( if that's possible ) & handed them out to people that I know are on scripts would they still be valid ?

Ken Stringer

« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2011, 01:48:22 PM »
Thanks for the  offer OP, it is.probably.best just to let people.com plete online,  I .am keen no one can call theresults.into question.  Remind me of your.offer in a few.days,  we should be ok rumour has it that there are more than 34 users in the country!  Ken

OP8S

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2011, 02:23:09 PM »
Yes I suppose it could be seen in a negative light unless people were prepared to sign the document.
34 users! No wonder there is such a fuss over dispensing our meds !! :)
There is fault on both sides I'm sure. Users bitching about their treatment but to apathetic to complain, or recently it seems like a lot are too scared to complain in case their scripts are mucked about. It shouldn't be.
Sure I would like there to be more substitute meds available but there isn't & so all I ask is to be maintained on the medication that is most suitable for me.

usandthem

« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2011, 03:08:58 PM »
Thanks Ken for seeking to help us. Its only my theory but what if we posted this link back on the Alliance Forum and then change the title from- New Consultation Survey to - Forced Reductions Survey - then I am sure you will get more hits. I didn't get the link until I clicked it and then I saw what it was about and that made me complete the survey. Even then some guests may want to log in to the forum to complete the survey. Thanks John :)
The desire to alter your state of consciousness is universal