Author Topic: 2012 Conference  (Read 18802 times)

usandthem

Re: 2012 Conference
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2011, 03:25:42 PM »
What???!!!!!!!!! I thought it would be about 25. 80 a S/Us head.  Service users don't have that kind of wonga to splash about. Are they going to lay out silver trinket platter, the finest cuisine, and a 4 poster en-suite at Hotel Royelle with a couple of harlots thrown in for the cost ....? lol!  Im re-thinking about going now.  :-[
« Last Edit: November 11, 2011, 03:41:31 PM by usandthem »
The desire to alter your state of consciousness is universal

OP8S

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2011, 10:28:15 AM »
Sorry for my ignorance but my laptop ain't working to good just now & I couldn't get the right link on DDN but is the 2012 Conference relevant in Scotland as much as it's relevant in England & Wales ? With Scotland being devolved now , it can be hard to tell on political issues. My poor GP spent ages to try & get me off the database known as the "spine " only to find that it wasn't applicable up North. I was quite impressd he went to the effort when I obviously been his only patient that asked about it.
" The problem with the world is that the fanatics are so sure of themselves while the wiser people acknowledge doubts "      Bertrand Russell

simon

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2011, 07:01:43 PM »
Venues are very expensive and conferences typically are about 200-250 per day - drug action teams may fund some places so ask your commissioner. One way to reduce costs is to try a university campus when the students are on leave and you can get cheap rooms.

sapphire

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2011, 03:54:03 PM »
That's crazy, what service user is going to be able to afford that?
Can you not look at cheaper venues for the future or something else to bring the cost down.

I'm not suprised any policy makers at these conferences are so far detached from what is actually happenning in treatment, they never see or listen to any actual service users!!

angiesims AKA true grit :)

« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2011, 04:00:25 PM »
My fella works in a posh hotel and he was setting up a conference room for a drug training treatment program other night. You wouldn't believe the cost. And the larvelyyyy lunch they have too. No packet sandwiches for them LOL

OP8S

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2011, 04:47:11 PM »
I didn't even get a sandwich last monday when doing an all day fire-wardens course. The coffee was free but they had no decaff, by lunchtime I was flying. LOL! This course is one run by the local authority, they sent an email to everybody & a letter saying that they would be providing no biscuits or food anymore. There's approx 3000 employees', surely you could get a butty or two out of the money spent on the letters sent out. It won't be long till you have to pay for the relevant courses that your employer puts you one, otherwise you're out the door. I realise costs have to be cut to pay off the National debt, but these costs should be taken from the top of the pile. I bet (w)bankers don't have to use the kenco coffee machine, it's probably a five course luncheon with wine available. They're going to take on board fuck all after that.
If the top 5% of earners had a one of tax of 10% of their 6 billion personal fortune then it would pay of the national debt & still leave some. Leaving them with only 4 billion, you can surely get a holiday or two out of that eh?
Sorry for going of topic, the only people I truly hate are the controlling 5-10% of this country, who's addiction is greed, no matter how it is obtained. Who's addiction harms society more ?
Anyway, back to the matter in hand. It would cost me 200 approx coming from my location in Scotland, I wonder if I could get the fee for the confrence from local CDT ??? Times are tight,  I know that but it would look good for them if they gave me a donation, something to put in there newsletter.
I'd put up a sponsor form in the CDT but though people may wan't to donate the saying blood out of a stone comes to mind.
Anybody familiar with me would be rewarded for a bunk in the area. I'm a nice person ( they say ) & would be very grateful. That is if I get the cash together in the first place !
Lapland first, I can't wait, think I'm worse than the kids. Can't wait! ;D
" The problem with the world is that the fanatics are so sure of themselves while the wiser people acknowledge doubts "      Bertrand Russell

simon

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2011, 05:46:44 PM »
Hitchhike and make a tent out of an old tarpaulin.

OP8S

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2011, 06:09:31 PM »
I've never been to one Simon, would I gain anything from it. Would I have a voice ? Are you going, I expect that you'd love me to come with you. ;D

simon

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2011, 06:11:13 PM »
Not sure i'm normally on holiday that week as it's my birthday on the 15th. I'm sure you'd gain from it and a lot of conferences are just drying up now due to lack of funding, cost of venues.
I'm not huddling under your tarpaulin if I do go.

sapphire

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2011, 10:34:29 AM »
OP - I really think they should make people with crazy money like that pay a bit more off the top. They'll never need that amount of dollar, and it could do so much good.

OP8S

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2011, 01:02:48 PM »
Not sure i'm normally on holiday that week as it's my birthday on the 15th. I'm sure you'd gain from it and a lot of conferences are just drying up now due to lack of funding, cost of venues.
Aaaw come on Simon, I was looking forward to a night under the stars with you teaching me some Ray Mears techniques. No I'm only joking, nothing work-based should infringe on anybodies holiday time. Particularily if there's a birthday involved ! Counting the years to retirement I'm sure. Around my way they have some of the best social care available, I'd be honoured to change your pad should incontinence rear it's uncontrolable head. ;D

Anon33

« Reply #26 on: November 22, 2011, 12:35:19 AM »
I have been to 2 conferences, both 2 day ones, stayed in a b+b
National Conference Injecting Drug Use 2010 and the RCGP 16th annual conference 2011.
I had a great time at both, believe it or not those 2, you can get a bursary place if you are a service user....this one though has to be paid for though- ask your D(A)AT, they have a duty to involve and ask for the rail fare too ;D
You get a decent lunch as much coffee as you can drink, lots of freebies and meet like minded people.....there are always lots of different sessions so you go to the ones that interest you...plus you get to ask lots of AWKWARD QUESTIONS THAT EMPLOYEES ARE DYING TO ASK BUT IN FEAR TO BECAUSE OF THEIR JOBS.....this one is a good networking event- so my fellows have said.....I am still waiting for my D(A)AT to agree, fingers crossed eh :-\

OP8S

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: November 22, 2011, 11:01:29 AM »
If I could get my travel paid, I could take care of myself. It's simple users should be involved in every part of treatment. Just now current key has smoked one joint years ago when pissed. The people that could possibly cut budgets & have a service that benefits everybody are the users. Taking illicit substances is by no means a mark of intelligence, as I think this forum shows.(?)mostly!

Anon33

« Reply #28 on: December 30, 2011, 03:48:24 PM »
you need a return to Birmingham international......invoice your daat....boook 2 weeks in advance and you get half price on apex x :-*

Anon33

« Reply #29 on: December 30, 2011, 03:50:24 PM »
its my birthday on 22nd and co-d on 10th....so our presents xxx