Author Topic: 2012 Conference  (Read 18919 times)

Ken Stringer

2012 Conference
« on: October 05, 2011, 12:29:59 PM »
It is that time of year again folks when we need to consider topics for conference, I am aware that we have been asked in previous years to do some work around how to set up local groups, how to run fora and support this work.  Do we need to revisit this at conference or get on and do it?

While i cannot promise that all things will be included please let me know what issues you would like me to take to the table when discussions begin about conference content.

Thanks in advance
ken

sapphire

• Administrator
Re: 2012 Conference
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2011, 06:14:13 PM »
What conference?

Something on everyones' lips should be users being forced to reduce/detox.

froude

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2011, 06:30:51 AM »
Ken,Methadone Maintenence, I think should be brought up maybe inconjunction with what Saph has said,as it seems to be tied in along the line.Can we go to this 2012 Conference or is it for the professionals?,hope not.All the best ken,Froude
THERE ARE A LOT OF PSYCHOPATHS IN PRISON,UNFORTUNATELY MOST ARE STAFF<br />One Half Of The World Cannot Understand The Pleasures Of The Other

OP8S

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2011, 07:53:38 AM »
Go on, let the riff-raff in. Please!
I think that as a country we need to look at other countries that have better success rates, drug of choice things like that. Switerland , Germany, Portugal are all dealing with their drug issues in a far more holistic way.
" The problem with the world is that the fanatics are so sure of themselves while the wiser people acknowledge doubts "      Bertrand Russell

sapphire

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2011, 11:19:31 AM »
Good point OP, diamorph scripting would be a topic I think should be discussed. We have so many meds in the world so why are we limited to having to use either methadone or subs, and if neither of them work for you, well, you're fucked.

simon

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2011, 01:30:52 PM »
What about Peter bates from the national development team for social inclusion. He argues that social exclusion is more harmful than smoking.  Good chap.

OP8S

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2011, 02:00:47 PM »
Yip social inclusion sounds good to me ! I never turned my back on society, society turned it's back on me!!
" The problem with the world is that the fanatics are so sure of themselves while the wiser people acknowledge doubts "      Bertrand Russell

simon

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2011, 02:28:50 PM »
His work is mainly about mental health/learning difficulties but he has spoke at drugs conferences.
They have a social inclusion planner on a traffic light system so if you attend a special clinic only for service users. If you see workers only for service users and attend groups only for service users you'd get a red traffic light.
If you went to a GP clinic, accessed the same counsellors that anyone else attended went to say a job club the same as anyone else you'd be green.

simon

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2011, 02:30:26 PM »

Jules

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2011, 05:13:20 PM »
It's the annual Service User Conference run by DDN and The Alliance.  It's on 16th Feb 2012 and will be held at the NEC, Birmingham.  Will post more details ie: costs etc when I'm in the office tomorrow.

Jules

Anon33

« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2011, 09:45:17 PM »
Is it 1 or 2 days???
I never got to go last year :(
Do service users get a discount ???
I think topics covered in conversation should be around:
Diamorphine prescribing-accessibility
Benzo detoxes
Rights of service users in Recovery rhetoric climate
Benefits welfare reform rights
Rushed detoxes/ detox coercion
Big faux charities
Support for independent service user groups with unsupportive D(A)AT's
The abstinence debate
Probably too much but they are the main topics of discussion, please keep us updated ;)

usandthem

« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2011, 10:00:33 PM »
Ken, can you please try and put this forward please.

Stop the coaxing of service users from DSP workers. Users having the choice to stay in maintenance and not be badgered into reducing. Many users wanting to stay maintained on methadone have a much better chance of making something of their lives. But they are having to jump through hoops and there is a clear prejudice against those of us wanting to stay maintained by some staff. Also to stop key-workers and doctors badgering S/users off their preferred medicine or coaxed into reducing off the only medication that helps them to be replaced with medicines which the service prefer you to be on. Its all about choice really Ken. When it comes to maintenance. There is none.

Thanks from John (S/U) usandthem

|| ||
\/ \/

Jules,

Can i come to the NEC conference please. I live just outside Birmingham so travel would not be too difficult and would love to see the mighty Alliance in action. :)
Any feedback on cost, ticket, date and time and if I need to make a reservation would be great. Thanks.

John (S/U) usandthem
« Last Edit: November 02, 2011, 10:11:42 PM by usandthem »
The desire to alter your state of consciousness is universal

Jules

« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2011, 11:21:25 AM »
Hi John

Full details of the conference will be in DDN's 7th November issue:

http://www.drinkanddrugsnews.com/

Best wishes

Jules

usandthem

« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2011, 05:29:54 PM »
Thank you Jules will keep a look out for the details.
The desire to alter your state of consciousness is universal

Anon33

« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2011, 04:18:03 PM »
80 per service user if 4 book the 5th place is free
135 per professional
 ;D