Author Topic: New Area!  (Read 12448 times)

Filskit

Re: New Area!
« Reply #30 on: September 20, 2015, 12:22:29 PM »
I'll not be holding my breath . I've not got a great deal of time for psych's , there's a shortage of them in this country & they all appear to want to label their patient's with a different illness / disorder . It's a kind of professional elitism , that's the conclusion I've arrived at . Certainly seen my fair share of them & they've all got different opinions .

As for the husband & wife set up I can't see the husband undermining the wife in case it causes a lack of action between the sheets ! Psychiatrist or not he's still a bloke....  ;D

sapphire

• Administrator
« Reply #31 on: September 20, 2015, 04:19:30 PM »
Yeah, KWYM. My psych after fiddling around with various combo's of meds has now decided that meds are just suppressing my problems like drugs did. I was like WTF?! If I didn't need some kind of therapy or medication I wouldn't be here in the 1st fucking place, and now you're telling me that you think it's best to do nothing?! Grrr

fixed

« Reply #32 on: September 21, 2015, 12:58:25 PM »
I would have thought that a second opinion would have to be conducted by an independent phyc NOT employed by the same DSP & definatlly not some one related to the Dr who made the original diagnosis as there would be an obvious conflict of interest.

sapphire

• Administrator
« Reply #33 on: September 21, 2015, 02:22:37 PM »
Yeas, you're possibly right there Fixed, I hadn't thought about that. I don't know if the 2nd opinion has to be from outside the service.

OP8S

• Global Moderator
« Reply #34 on: September 22, 2015, 09:36:41 AM »
That's true , I think I'll PM Filskit ....any 2nd opinion should come from an independent source & certainly not the person they're driving to work with ! Sounds like a dodgy set up for all patient's concerned .
" The problem with the world is that the fanatics are so sure of themselves while the wiser people acknowledge doubts "      Bertrand Russell

Filskit

« Reply #35 on: September 22, 2015, 10:15:44 AM »
Thanks for the PM OP & thank you for your post fixed , I hadn't thought of it from that angle . Surely the fact that they are a husband & wife team rules out the " independent 2nd opinion " . I'm hoping that they are both from the UK also , not because I'm at all racist but I have noticed that Dr's from different countries do quite often have an even lower opinion of drug dependants than those coming from the UK .

sapphire

• Administrator
« Reply #36 on: September 22, 2015, 12:46:33 PM »
I was having that conversation with a Dr that's heritage is afro-Caribbean, and he was saying that some foreign Dr's, especially men that are older have a very different view of women than those in the UK would have. Add to that a woman using drugs, and you've got a recipe for getting talked down to and treated like crap.

I have no problem being treated by anyone from any nationality (as long as they can speak good English, I wouldn't expect t go and work in another country without a working grasp of the language), but when Dr's start bringing their cultural differences into the treatment room, I have a problem with that.

We also have a Dr at our practise that will not sign for ladies to have terminations, no matter what the reason for it (it could be medical). He says that his religion prevents him from doing so, but if you look at it like that, religion would prevent you doing quite a lot of medical treatments. Needless to say, he has no female patients of child bearing age!!

The UK is completely different from most African and Arabic countries, so of course women are not going to be the same, and who gives these Dr's the right to judge they way we live your lives. As you've guessed by now, this really, really annoys me.

If even other non British Dr's can see what's going on, why can the NHS not?! Having Dr's that cannot properly converse with a patient is downright dangerous.

I had to describe what meds I was on to a Russian lady consultant the other month, and she couldn't understand 'thyroxine'. A pretty basic medication you'd have thought right?
Anyway, I get a call from my GP, saying "why did you tell the neurologist you were on all these meds", to which I replied "I didn't, I told her what meds I AM actually taking, but she seemed to be having problems understanding me, or the nurse who was trying to help her.

Could be very dangerous, as they could prescribe completely the wrong meds, or get you to stop the completely wrong meds when you desperately need them!

Apparently in the future, GP's and nurses working in the UK will have to pass an English Language exam and gain a grade of at least a C, or they will not be allowed to work in any patient facing role within the NHS. Too many problems have already been caused by language problems.

OP8S

• Global Moderator
« Reply #37 on: September 22, 2015, 03:44:56 PM »
I would say that just scraping a pass with a C isn't really good enough myself ?

When I was in the middle of splitting up with my partner of 15 years & mother of my children I was seeing an Algerian psych. , in retrospect I was not in a good place mentally & very vulnerable to what other people suggested . He didn't seem to have much of a grasp of the situation ( although his English was very good ) , he advised me to  go home & just say " ...No , I'm not leaving because I don't want our family to split up . "

That might work in Algeria where men are still seen as the dominant partner in a relationship , but the answer I got was " Fine , I'll start packing then ! " , as they say the rest is history .

I often wonder if things may of worked out differently if I hadn't taken his advice , I think he just thought that I needed to grow a pair & my partner would obey .

Like you Sapph , I've nothing against foreign medical professionals but they need to not only understand the language but also the culture . As for religion they should keep that personal & not take it to work with them at all .
" The problem with the world is that the fanatics are so sure of themselves while the wiser people acknowledge doubts "      Bertrand Russell

sapphire

• Administrator
« Reply #38 on: September 25, 2015, 12:43:35 PM »
Many of the foreign medical professionals have been amongst the best that I have seen. But as soon as you disclose that you're a drug user, they take a totally different attitude. I even got asked why I wasn't married at my age (this was when I was about 21).

The younger foreign Dr's do not seem as bad, but the older gentlemen can be very condescending and treat you like a 2nd class citizen.

For me, it's nothing to do with the colour of their skin, as older white male Dr's can be exactly the same, I feel it's actually more of a sexist thing.

One thing that does bug me though is the blatant lack of English language skills. If they cannot speak/understand English properly, how do we know that they're understanding what we tell them and are diagnosing our illness' properly?

If I went to be a Dr in France/Spain, wherever, I would have the common courtesy to learn the language to a passable level before even attempting to interact with patients.

This must be a nationwide problem, as several consultants in the large hospital near me have been removed from their post after misdiagnosing due to the language barrier. So if it's happened here, I expect it's happened in other places.

I hate talking about things like this, as it makes me feel racist, but I just don't feel it's racism, it's a matter of safeguarding patients, and patients knowing that when they go to see a Dr, be they from France or Mali, that Dr is going to understand what they patient is saying to the Dr, and the Dr can converse back to the patient in a way that the patient understands.

Race is such a touchy subject that people are scared to talk about valid topics for fear of being called racist, which can't be right. We need open honest discussion about these things, that obviously also take into account the feelings of the non English speakers so they are not left to feel in any way disrespected or put down.

OP8S

• Global Moderator
« Reply #39 on: September 25, 2015, 01:54:13 PM »
I think that the problem is this country has a massive shortage of qualified Dr's , how can that be.....maybe if the bunch of toff's in Government hadn't changed the way England's Higher Education system was run then more people from working class backgrounds could afford University tuition fees . It is still " free " in Scotland but with the student loans mounting up it's  bound to put already skint people off , especially as you're normally in higher education for a bit longer if you choose to study medicine .

My lad would quite like to become a vet , or at least that's what he's saying just now . I think that's 8 years of studying to be fully qualified , the little bugger's going to work me into the grave  ;D  though I would be very proud of him if he did become one .

I only found out recently that studying Open University courses are free if you are on benefits , maybe instead of forcing people into basket weaving to help them " recover " DSP's should be trying to get the idle to start learning again rather than playing their play stations all day ! Apologies for the stereotype , I'm sure lot's of people on meth use their time much more wisely....it was just a couple of people that came to mind as I was typing.

I love learning new stuff & if I could afford it I'd certainly start doing free OU courses .

sapphire

• Administrator
« Reply #40 on: September 28, 2015, 02:23:20 PM »
Completely agree OP, if more kids from different backgrounds were able to go to uni to pursue things like medicine, it would bring a whole new crop of Dr's into the fold that have a completely fresh new take on how things should be done.

Some Dr's get so set in their ways that it's dangerous. The refuse to keep up with current thinking, passing it all off as 'trends'. Frankly you might as well go and see the local village idiot than some of these old duffers.

OP8S

• Global Moderator
« Reply #41 on: September 29, 2015, 11:42:58 AM »
Quite often our village idiot is the person with the most comprehensive ideas .

sapphire

• Administrator
« Reply #42 on: September 30, 2015, 03:28:36 PM »
LOL, dunno about that, you've not seen this village's idiot!! Who knows though, under all that he might be some kind of genius trying to lead us the way!!