Author Topic: New here question about forced reduction in Cambridge  (Read 4543 times)

seven

New here question about forced reduction in Cambridge
« on: December 18, 2013, 11:15:05 AM »
Hi im new to the forum but I have a question, maybe this isn't the right place but I have to start somewhere. My wife takes methadone for a number of reasons and the doctor has told her that he wants to get "all users off Methadone" and will only give her a prescription until January, she was with addaction but now inclusion I believe. Methadone having helped her stay in work she now faces the prospect of non  because of some state "policy" but it seems the non stable people can carry on being prescribed methadone which as far as I can see crazy....what exactly is the TRUE state of affairs with methadone prescribing and not the lies the doctors peddle? I think they are trying it on , it seems if you are working and stable and not using street drugs they want to throw you off the "drug programme"

sapphire

• Administrator
Re: New here question about forced reduction in Cambridge
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2013, 12:46:05 PM »
There is no new "policy" that states that people must come off methadone.

What has happened is that since the Tories came to government they have decided that more emphasis must be put on "Recovery", which to them means people should work to becoming abstinent.

However, that does not mean that doctors can force people off methadone, particularly if they are doing well on it and have no desire to come off it as they know that they either cannot achieve or maintain abstinence.

This state of affairs also coincides with the introduction of PbR, (payment by results) for drug treatment workers, where they are given financial incentives for getting people to exit treatment drug free.

The bottom line is that your wife should never be forced off medication, and especially not in such a short time frame. For her doctor to say he is only prescribing up to January is wrong on so many levels.

What exactly is he expecting her to do after January?

If your wife would like, we can assist in this matter by speaking to her drug service provider, as there is no way this should be happening, and must be very stressful for her.

You can PM or email me if you would like to.

seven

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2013, 10:56:58 AM »
Thank you for your help, I went personally to my doctor (same surgery) and had a chat with him, he is fantastic and gets very angry about this type of Nazi bullying. I have been using Methadone since the 80s and have worked and since then have only taken "illegal drugs" 4 times! Methadone WORKS. He is going to try to have a talk with the doctor and "drug" worker so I will keep you updated. My wife said to the doctor "what am I supposed to do? I will have to buy on the black market then" he replied "well if you want to break the law its up to you"....the thing that makes me mad is he is a good doctor! but seems to have been pressured into these number games with the "recovery"  idiots! 

sapphire

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2013, 12:00:44 PM »
I am really confused, if the doctor is only going to prescribe to your wife up to January, is he starting tapering her down, or does he just expect her to stop cold turkey in January.

If he does then that is a severe breach of medical ethics and he can be reported to the GMC for that kind of thing.

Please let us know if your wife's DSP persist with this, as we can intervene for you and try to get this sorted out for her.

seven

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2014, 10:39:20 AM »
Im confused too, they don't seem to know what they are doing and seem to think as they say  "because it was prescribed for pain" (she had cancer which caused and still causes pain) they can just pull the plug...this is not correct she has been taking illegal Methadone since the 80s...but they keep going on about "the government want all drug users to stop  in 3 years" when you ask them how they don't say anything except I get the impression they are going to leave the junkies who have never worked alone but cut off the people who are able to live a normal life with it "as the doctor said "you are a good candidate for coming off".. it really seems to be political and im sure the "case worker" gets some sort of bonus for every "cure". like I said I had a chat with my doctor and am waiting to see what happens, she phoned up today and apparently has "one more prescription" she is going in to collect it today and see if we can find out what the hell is going on with these people.  The whole drug setup is wrong...they seem to have the belief that every "drug user" is a jobless criminal or a victim and as far as I can see we are discriminated against just as much as blacks or gays were.

simon

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2014, 10:57:40 AM »

seven

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2014, 11:38:30 AM »
Thanks for that very helpful, I will print it out and get her to point a few things out to the "doctor"

sapphire

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2014, 12:28:11 PM »
Regardless of whether or not she was taking it at some point for analgesia, she has obviously been using it a lot longer than that for other purposes, and that needs pointing out.

It is unethical of a doctor to just stop a script that a person is physically dependant on, whatever drug that maybe, and would result in a conversation with the GMC.

I honestly think they are just trying it on with your wife, as they need to get so many people to exit treatment "drug free" to make their figures look good and keep the local drug service commissioners happy.

If your wife's doctor still seems insistent on her stopping methadone when she does not want to as it is not in her best interests, please let us know and we can support you in your own advocacy, or advocate on your behalf.

Bottom line is that there are NO guidelines or "laws" that state that patients should be forcibly removed from their scripts.

seven

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2014, 09:29:54 PM »
I didn't realise they get money for "curing" people if that is so that would be why she said the "case worker2 looked real angry when she said I don't want to stop im fine...

sapphire

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2014, 01:13:19 PM »
I didn't realise they get money for "curing" people if that is so that would be why she said the "case worker2 looked real angry when she said I don't want to stop im fine...

Yes, services get commissioned on the basis that they will get so many people out of treatment drug free every year. In some areas they have 'payment by results' for individual treatment staff. This means that the more people they get out of treatment drug free, the better it is for them financially.

This really begs the question as to whether this is ethical or not. Unscrupulous DSP staff may be blatantly forcing people out of treatment, when it is not in the person's best interest, purely for the financial reward.

Nurse Rachet

« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2014, 09:04:18 AM »

This up dated guidance came out just before Christmas. I   wonder how many services are following it

http://www.nta.nhs.uk/uploads/medications_in_recovery-reviewing_treatment.pdf

seven

« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2014, 10:03:48 AM »
maybe this will be of interest to someone
http://digitalreprints.elsevier.com/i/236355

sapphire

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2014, 11:22:57 AM »
Even though the group that created that report do say that medication is still an important part of treatment, they all say that treatment has an end point and that's what people should always be working towards, and that's what I don't like about it.

lillith

« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2014, 05:05:59 PM »
Struggling to post my own thread on here for some reason. However my partner needs help. Forced accelerated reduction for positive piss tests. New company called One Recovery.

sapphire

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2014, 06:28:45 PM »
I see you worked out how to start you own thread in the end! Please PM or email me the full details and we'll start looking onto this for you.