Author Topic: Amps taken away after 20 years  (Read 10821 times)

Si Nastone

Amps taken away after 20 years
« on: April 03, 2014, 12:47:03 AM »
I have been prescribed a maintenance dose of Methadone ampules for close to 20 years. It was the only treatment that was successful for me. So much so that I gone from being homeless when first prescribed to being a high rate tax payer. Since my treatment provider changed, I have been constantly pressure to discontinue injecting. I have injected at least once a day for around 25 years.

On a recent visit, i was told it was no longer my choice and that my amps would be tapered and replaced with mixture. I haven't used illicit heroin more than a handful of times since the amps were prescribed. This isn't to say I don't think about using. I think about it many times a day and dream about it most nights. I have always coped with this by telling myself, wait until morning and you will have your hit. It works.  I have achieved a lot since being on the amps and fully believe that i would be either dead or still injecting heroin without them. I have never had a DVT or problems with my sites. and all ECG have shown a normal QT interval. The prescribing doctor doesn't even have my notes, so there is no way this is about what is best for me, it is about achieving targets and kowtowing to policy.

Is there any appeal process, is it worth me taking legal advice? I am really scared and can foresee everything falling apart. I am struggling already and they haven't even been fully reduced yet.

A concerned service user

simon

• Global Moderator
Re: Amps taken away after 20 years
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2014, 10:07:58 AM »
Could you call the alliance helpline as this isn't the first time this has hapenned. A chap who used to post insisted on a second opinion and did get to keep his rx, sadly he died not so long ago but his case is well known to the site members.

Si Nastone

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2014, 10:20:06 PM »
I did try using the contact us form and I also e mailed Pete Mc Dermott twice, but got no replies. I avoided the helpline as instructed. When is the best time to call?

sapphire

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2014, 12:14:40 PM »
Hello Si and welcome to the Alliance. Sorry that it is under such bad circumstances.

There are things that you/we can do to help, but I would need more info.

Were you on oral methadone before the amps, for how long, and was it successful?

Since being on the amps, how many drug screens have you given that are positive for illicit substances?

Do you want to PM me your telephone number, and a time that is good for me to call you so we can discuss this further?

Peter McDermott has been seconded to work full time at a particular service, which I'm sure why he didn't reply to you.

My email address is sapphire@m-alliance.org.uk if you want to email me.

OP8S

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2014, 02:42:40 PM »
Get in there & fight for what you want right from the start. Give them an inch & they'll take a mile.
Contact The Alliance & if Sapph doesn't mind me saying then contact RELEASE as well. A mate of mine had good results when he used them.

I wish you all the best & hope it get's sorted without too much bother.
" The problem with the world is that the fanatics are so sure of themselves while the wiser people acknowledge doubts "      Bertrand Russell

Si Nastone

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2014, 04:44:16 PM »
I was on oral before amps. It wasn't successful.

I have given 1 positive screen in the last 10 years which was for benzos. It was a false positive, although the sample wasn't sent for mass spec to prove this. I have had one minor relapse since prescribed the amps , which was a result of me mismanaging my prescription.  The relapse was over 10 years ago.

I'll call the helpline. Who do I need to speak to, and what is the best day/time to call?

sapphire

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2014, 04:52:42 PM »
The best thing to do would be to PM/email me or Ken your phone number and we'll call you.

sapphire

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2014, 05:09:56 PM »
Or email me if you'd prefer not to give out your telephone number at this stage.

Si Nastone

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2014, 01:43:12 AM »
Thanks for all the kind words of support

sapphire

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2014, 01:11:29 PM »
I've PM'ed you the details Si.  :)

afcjimwomble

« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2014, 06:50:59 PM »
Always ask for a 2nd opinion by a independent psychiatrist provided by and paid for by you SP also demand that no changes will be made to your script until after the result, as they will look pretty stupid having to back track once the decision. Investably goes in your favor! Don't let these people win. As has been previously posted ..do not give them an inch and remember they are there for YOU not the other way round.

sapphire

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2014, 02:31:47 PM »
A second opinion will be part of the case that we are building for this, as there seems no valid reason for what the DSP are doing.

Si Nastone

« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2014, 09:52:57 PM »
I was denied an appeal or second opinion when I asked for one.

OP8S

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2014, 09:09:57 AM »
Is a second opinion not one of your rights as a patient when on medication ? It's not the same situation but I am demanding a second opinion for treatment of a medical problem ? I've been on medication for this for over 10 years with no problems but a new locum DR wants me to stop taking it. I don't see why I should as the symptoms will almost definetly return & I will then have to be prescribed either the same or a different medication again.

Why change things when they have years ( 20 in your case ) of working successfully ? Do these people not have anything else better to do, like getting users into treatment rather than harassing those that are already in treatment & functioning well !

Makes my blood boil !

Just because your new provider *say*  that you don't have the right of a 2nd doesn't mean that you don't, they're probably just saying that because they're have a good reason to believe that the 2nd opinion will go in your favour & make them look like the shower of shit that they appear to be.

Have you sent a letter of complaint to your local MP ?
" The problem with the world is that the fanatics are so sure of themselves while the wiser people acknowledge doubts "      Bertrand Russell

sapphire

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2014, 12:29:16 PM »
If a patient files a formal complaint, and especially when things that are a little more complicated than a standard oral prescription, as with amps, you will be allowed a second opinion.

You do have to go down the route of filing a formal complaint to be allowed that second opinion though.