Author Topic: Advice on holiday script  (Read 4714 times)

cobalt

Advice on holiday script
« on: July 25, 2014, 03:54:00 PM »
Hi all I am an old member that has returned many years later, for more great advice from the people that know the score.
The problem I now have is I am px 2x50ml amps daily (which I have to pick up daily because its in amps????) and I would like to go on holiday  to Sicily again same as I did 4yrs ago, but we are now governed by C.R.I. not the N.H.S. and a new Dr. last time I went I went for 2 weeks and was give 3weeks worth because at that time the Iceland volcano was causing hell delaying flights for days, a letter from my doctor that's all I needed and wasn't a problem at all, but this year my Dr will only PX me linctus, is this rationale thinking in this day of traveling with this amount of  liquid in hand luggage is taboo, but not just getting liquid but losing my amps for 2 week after 20yrs is a lot to ask, Have I got any grounds to fight this on or have I just got to accept that the last holliday probably with my parents I am 40yrs of age my mother is from sicily  so this holiday means a lot to me and my family but this DR does not care saying its C.R.I. policy not to prescribe ampoules abroad, last year it took me 3months to let me take 3days worth to centre parks near Carlisle and my urine samples are all clean no poly drug use at all so really he has no right to dictate were and were I cant go has he? Please can someone give me some help or advice it means a lot 2weeks of freedom(I am an isolated person only leaves house to get script not much of a life so 2weeks is life changing for me it was last time I climbed a volcano)
I am sorry if this is written badly but writing letters is not my strong point
thanks for taking the time to read this and hopefully answer it cobalt who was andro74

bp

Re: Advice on holiday script
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2014, 02:02:28 AM »
Cobat

What really worries me here is that should C.R.I give you 3 weeks  supply of linctus  -doubt very much if you'll get amps -  it's possible   you may not  get your amps back when you return home from holiday.   I advise you to call the Release Helpline; the Alliance helpline no longer exists. Sorry to be so pessimistic but sadly Recovery rules these days.

Good Luck,

Beryl

cobalt

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2014, 08:16:01 PM »
Hi Beryl
I would first like to thank you for a reply, I have tried the alliance helpline and you have just told me the reason behind no answer, and will now try release.
I could lose my amps when I get back. That has gone through my mind as well.
I am in a bit of a position. As I said in the last letter I think this will be my last chance in my life to go on holiday with my mother, father, sister, brother n law and baby nephew. so there is pressure on me to go.
I was given my first script of diamorphine reefers by the hallowed Dr.John Marks. So I have experienced changes before in my script but to be told I can not leave the country because of some rule they made up now, because I have never had problems like this before. It must be a breach of my human rights (forgot I don't have any I am a junky) sorry to go on but this is really getting to me big time.

simon

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2014, 11:34:47 AM »
Well you should be at leat taking tablets, carrying that much Methadone liquid is a risk, should it get smashed, lost in transit you'll be struggling. I'm not sure about the rules taking amps out of the country but I can't imagine it's a legal issue, as Beryl suggested Release would likely find out the Home Office would also be able to advise.
I'm not sure how safer someone feels prescribing daily pick-ups, you're either trusted or you aren't and if it's not supervised then what difference does it make and what is the gain?

cobalt

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2014, 05:05:34 PM »
hi and thanks to all who have spent the time to read this and even bigger thanks for the reply's. I have contacted release and they are working with me on this I will let you know what happens with this whether good news or bad which I do think its going to be the latter. Getting in touch with home office in the morning to see were I stand on taking  ampoules out of the country but I know what there going to say because I have a letter from them after the last time I went giving,  me permission so don't think there going to be the problem.
All the best Cobalt

sapphire

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2014, 01:05:00 PM »
I would definitely be very wary of accepting a 3 week oral solution script, as if you do fine for those 3 weeks on the oral, when you get back, CRI might be very disinclined to reinstate the amp script.

Has anything happened between the last time you were granted a holiday script and you asking now? As in positive drug screens etc? Most DSP's have the policy of only people with drug free screens and weekly or bi weekly pickups would be eligible for extended holiday scripts anyway. Unfair really.

Regarding the Helpline, if you had left a message it would have been returned, the Alliance does not have the resources any more to have someone dedicated to answering the telephone every day.

cobalt

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2014, 12:22:08 PM »
I haven't replied sapphire earlier because had a doc`s appointment so thought wait till after that, now that I have had it I am  more confused than before he's saying its cri`s  policy to not let amps on a multi day script I am on daily and that he has no licence to prescribe the amps to take out of the country, I have give clean urine samples for well over two years and regularly attend my meetings so no problems with that side but I just don't know whether he's telling the truth or its just to make things awkward as possible whilst I am on amps so looks like im not going anywhere which is not really right for them  to do this..

sapphire

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2014, 12:05:37 PM »
Usually, to give holiday scripts, a person must be off daily pickups. A lot of providers will not prescribe even oral methadone holiday scripts unless the patient is on weekly pickups. However, as you're on daily pick up through no fault of your own, and are providing drug free drug screens, I can't see the logic behind this.

As for the license thing, I am no sure that is true, as I know other providers that prescribe amps that have given holiday scripts. Although having said that, I have come across 2 or 3 people this summer that are on amps, and have been denied holiday scripts, so perhaps it's a new CRI policy, as they have all been CRI patients.

The real problem is that if you accept the 3 week oral script for the holiday, they will use it as an excuse to say that as you did fine on oral for the 3 weeks, that you can just stay on oral, iyswim?

Did you try calling Release?

cobalt

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2014, 08:39:58 AM »
Hi Sapphire there is no way I can take a 3week oral, Its to much of a risk to my stability and taking that amount of liquid on a plane is questionable as well plus will they give me my script back on return, so no I wont being accepting liquid but why should I, I have done nothing wrong, I have always believed in doctors discression ,so I've been in touch with alliance so all I can do is hope for the best cheers for the prompt reply cobalt

OP8S

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2014, 06:21:49 PM »
Surely it would be physeptone 5mg tabs you'd need supplied, due to the amount of liquid + the chance of damages. Saying that some DSP's even be-grudge prescribing that to dependants  ??? must be some kind of power trip. Generally people asking for scripts to take abroad on holiday are reasonably stable, managed to save some money up or are in some sort of employment. Their use of methadone has dare I say been a good decision !!! So why are these new recovery workers ( somehow different from drug-worker but in my case the same fellow ) giving those that are responding well to treatment a fuckin hard time about every holiday script & maintenance.

Last time I was away I had to carry 15boxes of 50tabs & that was just for the week, it does always get a good look at because of the amount your carrying, I even had UK security phoning my GP one time for him to explain to them that I had the proper amount. Spose it does look a bit sus ?

Best of luck with the amps mate, let us know how you get on with RELEASE.
" The problem with the world is that the fanatics are so sure of themselves while the wiser people acknowledge doubts "      Bertrand Russell

sapphire

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2014, 02:26:18 PM »
OP - yeas, if you're flying, and can prove that to the prescriber, they should be giving tablets due to risk of spillage etc during transit. The problem is that most prescribers now will only prescribe tablets for holidays to patients that are already on weekly pickups and are giving all negative drug screens.

Cobalt - I know that you are doing nothing wrong! I cannot understand why, given that you are giving all negative drug screens, that your prescriber insists on keeping you on daily pickup. That in itself is wrong. Being on a different formulation is no legitimate reason for keeping someone on supervised consumption, if they otherwise meet all the requirements for take home doses.

Do you work at all? I would imagine that having to go to the chemist every day is a real PITA.

cobalt

« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2014, 02:24:56 PM »
sapphire to tell you the truth I personally think there doing it on purpose to make my life so unliveable,but on a script that you throw your amps in for liquid, that is my thoughts on it, but they say that I should be in a daily injecting clinic so no amps leaves the premises, they then say because our clinic or area doesn't have enough people on amps to make that work the closest thing to that is daily pickup it stinks, as far as the holiday is concerned my keyworker told me she wants nothing to do with it washing her hands of it(I thought it was her job to help me?) So  my only hope is with release.
thanks cobalt

sapphire

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2014, 12:24:56 PM »
Wow, that really does suck. The guidelines say that as long as you are giving all negative drug screens, have a stable home environment that your medication will be safe in and that you are not a risk in any other way, that you should be allowed to work towards takehomes like any other patient on oral.

The supervised injecting rooms they are on about are mostly only for people prescribed diamorphine, not methadone, so their argument about that is not even valid!

Hopefully Release will be able to do something, have you tried contacting them? I know some people there if it's any help?

cobalt

« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2014, 02:52:34 PM »
hi sapphire it really does suck especially on a Saturday, I cant even go to my sisters to see my nephew for the weekend because I have to pick my script up, but my first worry is my holiday I have got release already on the case so its just a waiting game but looks like I wont be going to Sicily again this year because of a stupid decision which I cant agree with at all,
thanks again for having an interest with my problem, because the ones who should be helping me are not
cobalt

thomasjo11

« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2016, 01:29:54 PM »
hi sapphire it really does suck especially on a Saturday, I cant even go to my sisters to see my nephew for the weekend because I have to pick my script up, but my first worry is my holiday I have got release already on the case so its just a waiting game but looks like I wont be going to Sicily again this year because of a stupid decision which I cant agree with at all,
thanks again for having an interest with my problem, because the ones who should be helping me are not
cobalt
I would definitely be very wary of accepting a 3 week oral solution script, as if you do fine for those 3 weeks on the oral, when you get back, CRI might be very disinclined to reinstate the amp script.

Has anything happened between the last time you were granted a holiday script and you asking now? As in positive drug screens etc? Most DSP's have the policy of only people with drug free screens and weekly or bi weekly pickups would be eligible for extended holiday scripts anyway. Unfair really.

Regarding the Helpline, if you had left a message it would have been returned, the Alliance does not have the resources any more to have someone dedicated to answering the telephone every day.
Wow, that really does suck. The guidelines say that as long as you are giving all negative drug screens, have a stable home environment that your medication will be safe in and that you are not a risk in any other way, that you should be allowed to work towards takehomes like any other patient on oral.

The supervised injecting rooms they are on about are mostly only for people prescribed diamorphine, not methadone, so their argument about that is not even valid!

Hopefully Release will be able to do something, have you tried contacting them? I know some people there if it's any help?
I haven't replied sapphire earlier because had a doc`s appointment so thought wait till after that, now that I have had it I am  more confused than before he's saying its cri`s  policy to not let amps on a multi day script I am on daily and that he has no licence to prescribe the amps to take out of the country, I have give clean urine samples for well over two years and regularly attend my meetings so no problems with that side but I just don't know whether he's telling the truth or its just to make things awkward as possible whilst I am on amps so looks like im not going anywhere which is not really right for them  to do this..
Well you should be at leat taking tablets, carrying that much Methadone liquid is a risk, should it get smashed, lost in transit you'll be struggling. I'm not sure about the rules taking amps out of the country but I can't imagine it's a legal issue, as Beryl suggested Release would likely find out the Home Office would also be able to advise.
I'm not sure how safer someone feels prescribing daily pick-ups, you're either trusted or you aren't and if it's not supervised then what difference does it make and what is the gain?
[/quotethe docter is talking crap he does not need a licencse to prescribe amps even for holiday scripts he would need a licence to prescribe diamorphine  but not physeptone amps CRI are trying to change there rules they told me that they were not sending postal scripts to mataince patince any more so I gust got my GP to prescribe on so called shared care it's anything to make life hard &what I can't stand is the bullshite lies they trie to pull do not execept every thing they tell you query it .]