Author Topic: Advice on holiday script  (Read 5664 times)

Cobalt1974

Re: Advice on holiday script
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2019, 05:41:18 PM »
Wow reading this has taken me back a few years I never did get my holiday to sicily, but I've just been through a similar experience this year regarding a holiday to Wales for a week but thankfully they made the right desision this time and gave me a full week of amps to take away so on Monday I get a full week of peace and quiet with the family  :D
And a big thank you for everyone that helped me all them years ago

misgog

« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2019, 04:13:30 PM »
What an absolute shitter that situation was, I really struggle with the limitation of human rights in these cases, which frankly you'd have a great shout for suing for, if you are stable and historically compliant it doesn't matter a diddly shit what you are stable on.

I've worked in the field for 20+yrs and had many an argument with prescribers over holiday prescriptions, won some and lost some though!   

Cobalt1974

« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2019, 07:26:48 PM »
Yes misgog it was a shitter not being able to go away with the family to sicily I just end up blaming myself for being on amps and not being off drugs all together atleast I was able to get away with the family this year for a week with my script which is were I am right now writing this msg

sapphire

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2019, 12:00:55 PM »
It is always annoying when, as a totally stable and compliant patient that I have to stress out and worry about being 'approved' for a holiday script every year.

I can understand the services' trepidation if a patient is not stable etc, but if you are it just adds unnecessary stress and anxiety to your life.

OP8S

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2019, 12:51:04 PM »
I really think the UK should look at prescribing a decent dose tablet to use, 40mg or similar. I've always been given the 5mg physeptone tabs & when I was on 120mg daily that was 24 tabs a day. Even with a letter going through customs with what looks like a huge amount of medication for 1-2 weeks, 3x40mg tabs would have looked a lot better. Not many still getting pxd amps these days holidays or not!
" The problem with the world is that the fanatics are so sure of themselves while the wiser people acknowledge doubts "      Bertrand Russell

sapphire

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2019, 03:53:46 PM »
Agree OP. They have 40mg diskettes in the U.S. so why can't we have them here instead of needing a million and one 5mg physeptone tabs.

I believe the diskettes are anti IV'able as well.

Prun

« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2019, 11:56:26 PM »
Wow reading this has taken me back a few years I never did get my holiday to sicily, but I've just been through a similar experience this year regarding a holiday to Wales for a week but thankfully they made the right desision this time and gave me a full week of amps to take away so on Monday I get a full week of peace and quiet with the family  :D
And a big thank you for everyone that helped me all them years ago

I was sorry to read your story Cobalt1974. Policies around prescriptions supporting travel need reviewing to make sure they work well for people - I know our current one is better than before, but on a quick read seems still too weighted on perceived risks vs benefits. Will ask for a review, and would welcome input from people on this forum wherever possible.

thebighairy

« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2019, 02:54:32 PM »
Hi Prun,
I'd love to see a review of the holiday prescribing policy. It does seem the current one is a tad too risk averse and makes it hard for service users to access well being essentials like holidays, or working away from home. Sometimes just being given the benefit of the doubt is enough to encourage long term stability and recovery.

Prun

« Reply #23 on: November 28, 2019, 11:05:48 PM »
agreed, will come back here when first draft done.

OP8S

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2019, 03:04:50 PM »
Hi Prun,
I'd love to see a review of the holiday prescribing policy. It does seem the current one is a tad too risk averse and makes it hard for service users to access well being essentials like holidays, or working away from home. Sometimes just being given the benefit of the doubt is enough to encourage long term stability and recovery.

Totally agree, treat people like responsible adults & they are more likely to act like responsible adults. Well said bighairy.
" The problem with the world is that the fanatics are so sure of themselves while the wiser people acknowledge doubts "      Bertrand Russell

sapphire

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: December 10, 2019, 12:45:47 PM »
That would be great Prun, would really like to see that.

Prun

« Reply #26 on: March 18, 2020, 02:51:08 AM »
Hi All

Sorry I forgot to come back to you with this, below is the revised holiday script policy. It's gone through for ratification and should be live soon. Hopefully more flexible and an improvement on the last one, which wouldn't be very hard TBH

--------------------------
Purpose
Everyone needs a break, and this policy helps people on MAT travel without disruption to their usual treatment.

Guidance for staff
•   On entering treatment (or transferring from a different provider) help people understand the process for travel prescriptions
•   Posters should be displayed in service user waiting areas. Posters can be ordered through Connect Marketing via your marketing champion.
•   Aim to get at least 4 weeks’ notice prior to travel and be flexible when this is not possible.
•   Ideally the service user should have had a recent medical review within the past 3-6 months, otherwise try and arrange this before travel.
•   It’s important to see evidence of travel details, such as booking confirmation or transport tickets. This can help people avoid problems, such as going to places that have legal restrictions on the transport of certain types of medications.
•   Support people to check regulations relating to possession of controlled drugs within the country they are travelling to.
•   If on supervised consumption and travelling in the UK, continue this with a pharmacy at the destination.  Contact the local pharmacy at destination to post prescription(s) following confirmation this is acceptable.
•   Prescriptions for travel abroad would not usually be suitable for people requiring daily supervised consumption, or whose drug use is unstable e.g. using regularly in a high-risk manner.
•   The risks of issuing a travel prescription to someone who does not exhibit stability need to be balanced against the risks of disengagement and/or travel without an authorised prescription
•   Safe storage and safeguarding are just as important when travelling, especially with children, so advice should be provided to those travelling with medication
•   If a person is travelling abroad then methadone can be given in tablet form. This makes it easier to comply with hand-luggage liquid restrictions on flights, and reduces the risk of spillage
•   Staff should inform the service user that lost travel prescriptions and or medications may not be replaced.
•   Requests for a holiday prescription to a country where the medication is known to be illegal will not be prescribed

In more complex cases where the risks to the individual or their dependents may appear to outweigh the benefits collaborative dialogue between the service user, their worker, and the clinical team is encouraged to achieve a satisfactory solution. Examples would include:

•   Where there are safeguarding concerns 
•   For all injectable or non-formulary drugs.
•   For Travel Prescriptions over 14 days in duration.
•   Where there is harmful or binge pattern use of alcohol, diazepam and/or other benzodiazepines, pregabalin, gabapentin and other drugs which contribute to respiratory depression
---------------

OP8S

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: March 20, 2020, 09:09:50 AM »
Again, many thanks Prun :) Don't suppose there will be many holidays just now, certainly not abroad. I don't think I'd want to go anyway after watching a few Brit's ( English ) flaunting other countries CV-19 regulations.

Prun

« Reply #28 on: March 25, 2020, 06:36:08 AM »
Indeed OP8, but this will pass eventually and when we do, hopefully people will find this approach a lot more compassionate

OP8S

• Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: March 27, 2020, 10:58:41 AM »
I hope so Prun, last time I went abroad the DSP wanted me to take oral solution to a country with -30 degree temps. I was a bit concerned to say the least, thankfully my GP got them sorted out at the last minute & I got tabs, only 5mg but at least I knew that nothing would freeze while waiting at luggage/customs.
Personally I really think it's about time that the UK started using 40mg tabs, even just for holidays. I was on 120mg & away for about 10 days. I nearly needed another case just for the phy'tabs!