Author Topic: The attitude that GP's may develop now treatment is being outsourced  (Read 2882 times)

OP8S

• Global Moderator
I already know that different NHS GP's have different opinions when they are aware that a patient is a substance user, their opinions vary from one end of the spectrum to the other. I count myself extremely lucky that mine is not judgemental at all & is interested as well as helpful. Unfortunately that cannot be said about other GP's working from the same practice. Some aren't too judgemental then there are the GP's who make you feel like you are a waste of space & immediately go on the defensive should you have the misfortune to have to see them thinking that your only reason to visit them is to scam some medication to misuse.

Now that a large amount of users attend the new superpower DSP's rather than NHS providers the gap between substance users & their GP's will grow surely, meaning that NHS GP's will see less substance users & possibly become less aware of the fact that as a patient group we are as diverse in character as any other patients they may see. This could obviously be quite damaging to our relationships with our medical professionals.

I may well be wrong ( wouldn't be the first time  ::)  ) , but it was something that came to mind last night when I was thinking about an appointment that I am going to have to make next week. My own GP is away just now so I was trying to think what GP I would be best seeing. As in which GP will actually listen rather than have me diagnosed & out the door before I have time to sit down.

I'd be interested in hearing if anybody who has had their treatment outsourced has encountered any problems that they may not of encountered while receiving their OST through the NHS.
" The problem with the world is that the fanatics are so sure of themselves while the wiser people acknowledge doubts "      Bertrand Russell

OP8S

• Global Moderator
Re: The attitude that GP's may develop now treatment is being outsourced
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2014, 12:23:59 PM »
Apologies for any errors in the above post, I'm in between laptops just now. Hopefully to be remedied soon. :)
" The problem with the world is that the fanatics are so sure of themselves while the wiser people acknowledge doubts "      Bertrand Russell

sapphire

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2014, 05:05:55 PM »
It's a very good point OP, and something that people like PHE etc should be addresing. You're right, that as general practice and DSP's get farther apart, users are bound to suffer.

I just got back online after having no internet access for nearly 2 weeks, but I am going to add more to this later.

simon

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2014, 08:44:21 PM »
I suspect we will be back to the days when people got to the GP in desperation trying to get a prescription for anything they can either sell or use to help themselves feel a bit better. The GP's will be saying go and see them, drug services will be saying go and see your GP, back and forward people will go for the sake of some cheap substitute drugs.

OP8S

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2014, 10:13:20 PM »
Sounds like a healthy economic future for the suppliers who care not about quality or the health of their customers.

I reckon my kids could cobble together a better system. I suppose it'll keep the private sector prison officers in work though. Maybe those in power aren't that stupid after all...or maybe I'm just very cynical.

Whatever, it's still becoming more draconian by the day.

sapphire

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2014, 01:09:50 PM »
I am definitely seeing more GP's that are unwilling to provide the necessary meds as far as analgesia/insomnia/anxiety, as they assume that everyone on a script is drug seeking, either that or they assume that it should be the responsibility of the drug service to provide these extra services.

As doctor's in general practice have less and less exposure to actually treating patients for substance misuse disorders, the more they seem unwilling to get involved at all. When they do still have a duty of care to provide general medical assistance or referrals, the same as they do for any other patient that doesn't happen to be a DSP patient also.

I really would hope that people like PHE and SMMGP are looking at these issues and ways to overcome them, to ensure that DSP patients are given the same general medical treatment as any other person, and not discriminated against for being on OST.

Filskit

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2014, 07:53:04 PM »
You're right there Sapph. When I went to collect my meds last week I was told by the pharmacist that my benzodiazepine script which I have been prescribed for over ten years on the advice of a Consultant from a sleep clinic had been changed to 2mg diazepam. Unsurprisingly this has happened while my GP is off on holiday, sneaky fekkers. I've had no prior warning to this so immediately phoned my NHS DSP where I was told that that script is supplied by the surgery & that they were only writing scripts for my meth...& DHC. I don't know why Flabba the hut has control over that script. To me it would make more sense for the surgery to leave that in the hands of my GP ? The pharmacist has told me that I am as well to find out what's going on by making an appointment at the surgery. The soonest I can see my own GP is the 21st & the script ran out this week. I've phoned to try & get to see another GP but due to a shortage of them all they can offer me is a phone consultation on Thursday with whoever's duty doc that day. I would rather see a GP face to face, to discuss the situation as I've no idea what the situation is myself, whether they intend to manage my sleep disorder using different meds or what ? Either way I imagine that if it's not a GP that I already know I will be seen as just another junky scamming meds that I don't need.

I bet my bottom dollar that this is taking place thanks to Flabba constantly referring to the disorder as " insomnia " & telling the GP's that I have somehow duped the sleep clinic while they monitored me over a 48 hour period while sleeping.

How the fuck can you pull the wool over the sleep clinic's eyes while you're sleeping & hooked up to machines measuring your brain waves, heart beat, oxygen levels etc. as well as having a camera watching you ? It beggars belief. I don't think Flabba will be happy until he reduces me of every med I'm on & scoring again. Then he can treat me with the contempt he thinks I deserve because of my " vast " dose of meth which he refuses to let me reduce because of the DHC script for analgesia.

It makes absolutely no sense to me, but I'm just a junkie & so should accept junk treatment because I obviously have no moral compass, in his opinion.  >:(

sapphire

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2014, 01:48:18 PM »
So they've changed your benzo script right down to a single 2mg diazepam? I would have thought, depending on what dose you were previously on, that might be a little dangerous, and at the very least make you feel a little 'off'?

Have you tried complaining about this, and this idiot 'doctor'?

Filskit

« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2014, 04:04:53 PM »
No, the last script written was the equivalent daily dose just in 2mg tabs. I can see no other reason for this apart from it being the start of a reduction. The last time I went to collect them from the pharmacy there wasn't even a prescription for them for the first time in over 10 years, the pharmacist supplied me with enough for a couple of days & said they would re-order them. I contacted my GP but he had already left the surgery after his last day before going on holiday. A couple of days later I went to collect the script & that was when I was informed by a rather surprised pharmacist that the script that had been supplied but in 2mg tabs.

Personally I would of thought that I would have been asked into the surgery to discuss this matter beforehand. It does seem to becoming a regular occurrence, as in I am never quite sure what awaits me when I go to collect my meds. There has been problems with every medication that I am on in the last few months. Pain relief, antidepressants & now this, everything apart from my meth script which although was described as vast by the extremely vast in size " Flabba "  has to remain the same because of it's analgesic properties. It seems that they will not accommodate any reduction until I no longer need any medication for my increasingly painful back problem which I am still waiting for my appointment at the pain clinic which I don't even know if I have been referred to yet.

The whole service in my area is a bloody shambles at the moment to be honest. I've written my letter of complaint but the person dealing with it from the local CAB is on holiday also just now & they want to go over it with me before I send it to the Dr in charge of clinical governance for my area, so things are progressing but quite slowly. Meanwhile I'm having to put up with a lot of uncertainty even though I can't remember the last time I gave the DSP a positive for anything apart from a bit of weed.

sapphire

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2014, 11:39:13 AM »
It does sound like the start of a reduction, as that is what they do, prescribe the equivalent dose of whatever you were on but of Diazepam instead. Do you have PALS in Scotland? I have used them before and they are pretty good.

When I did my benzo detox, they did it way too fast, and as you also have a sort of seizure disorder, you need to be especially careful that he doesn't start trying to reduce you by too much and too quickly.

Filskit

« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2014, 07:10:05 PM »
I've managed to get things back to normal for the time being. The NHS DSP denied all knowledge of the script as I said before & when I explained the situation to the duty doc who phoned me I was treated in a non-judgemental manner. Surprise ! Maybe I'm getting a bit cynical with the constant hassle I've been receiving from Flabba , or maybe it was because it was a locum GP who was a bit unsure of the situation as it said nothing in my notes about an imminent reduction though he did think the same as me that the only reason the previous script had been changed to the 2mg diaz tabs. indicated a reduction.
I was prepared for some condescending GP but this locum never even mentioned the fact I'm on a meth script, shame that he's a locum but with any luck he'll like the area & be offered a contract. Not just because he supplied me with my usual script but because he certainly didn't come across as an opiophobe, he was very pleasant indeed. The practice could do with a few more of his sort.
Anyway, by the time this new script runs out I'll of seen my own GP again & hopefully the Dr. in charge of the practice who will be receiving my formal complaint this week. All 6 sides of A4 & that's the condensed copy ! It was a lot longer at first but I've removed everything but the facts, or should I say the lies that Flabba has told me over this last few months.

All I'm asking is for my health problems to be dealt with in the same way as they were before I was seen by one psychiatrist who appears to have everybody complaining , whether they are seeing him for mental health issues or substance use. Surely not too much to ask considering I've been a stable patient taking my medication in a responsible manner.

sapphire

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2014, 12:33:36 PM »
That's not too bad then, at least the doctors at your local practice have been OK about it and not started taking orders from Flabba! So the script's going to stay the same for now, or do you actually have to see Flabba again soon?