Author Topic: The opposite of help.  (Read 2191 times)

prospa

The opposite of help.
« on: September 04, 2014, 10:15:24 AM »
Hi,

I haven't posted for a while but things were going really well!

In order to explain fully I need to start from the beginning.

I have been on recovery treatment for 3yrs+ and have not used heroin or crack for at least 2yrs. The most helpful thing to me becoming clean was the fact that I moved completely away from any friends or dealers that use or sell those drugs.

Recently I moved to  London, got a job and joined another service provider which where problems started to arise. But before we get to that I want to say that I gave in to pressure a few times on staying with people that use weak cocaine (not crack) but I have learned to cope with the pull of that.

Now, about the new provider. To begin with, I am being forced to do group sessions or no script. For someone that needs to be away from others that use at all costs and feels the pull back towards said drugs at the mere mention of their effects, it can only do bad.

Even though I am staying away from the new town currently but not forever I am now being forced to pick up daily supervised there, which most of the time due to work takes around 3hrs through London traffic (28 miles round trip through thick traffic) which also costs me over 10 pounds per day. The only late pharmacy in the new place is on the other side of the town. I am told it's because the new service can only pay the chemists for supervision. When I told that Pharmacist that this is the reason I was coming from Dartford they said that wasn't true. They're no longer paid for supervision.

I work 12 hours per day 6 till 6. It does differ between days and nights but it still doesn’t give me time to do everything. This is the second job I've had since moving, the first I had to quit to try and fit into their regime of "PODS" group sessions!

Up until the day I switched I was lead to believe I'd be on weekly pickup but I'd have to attend the group sessions fortnightly. Then when it came to it I'm put on daily for 6 weeks (apparently) and now it's weekly group sessions and apparently I'm lucky it's not 3 times per week.

They're saying that I'm on supervised daily because I tested positive for cocaine 2 out of 4 times, first and third being clean.

I was in court Mon-Tues-Weds in Norwich for something I was found not guilty of this week but still left on daily from my new DSP because I couldn't find/didn't have time to prove it.

I feel like they're setting me up to fail. They've made it impossible to keep up with and if I go into withdrawals I will not be able to work. I will lose my job. Then I will end up homeless, and also back on heroin after all this time.

The key worker woke me up at 9:30am to drop the news of it all on me and I accidentally swore, not at her but in passing and had the phone put down on me. I'm constantly spoken to in a condescending manner. Being told off like by a teacher. This is terrible, it truly is.

BTW i am not rich, i can't afford 60 quid extra on petrol per week. I only get a little more than minimum wage so that's the most probably way of me failling to stay on-script. I'm struggling to eat already because of it and it's only been a week. :(

They don't care in any way, shape, or form. I learned early on that they don't care if you have a job. They'd not care less if you lost it due to them.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2014, 02:05:38 PM by sapphire »

sapphire

• Administrator
Re: The opposite of help.
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2014, 02:17:28 PM »
I'm sorry that you're having such a bad time. I can't remember, is your service an NHS one, or has it been contracted out to one of the charities?

Regarding the takehomes, they just will not take you off dailies until you start giving totally drug free screens. I know that it sucks, but that's the way it is, nationwide. Once you've given 3 totally drug free screens, that is when they can start moving you up the ladder as far as TH's goes.

Why are you having to travel to that place to collect your medication? Is it because the provider will only let you use a chemist within that area? I know that at my DSP, I can only use chemists that are in that town.

The thing about paying chemists for supervision is a red herring from your DSP, there must be some other reason that they are making you go to that place to collect. Perhaps we can find out what that is. It certainly would be easier for you to collect from somewhere nearer to where you live. Do you know of a chemist nearer to where you live that will do supervised consumption to start with, and then keep you on when you do get the TH's?

As far as the group sessions go, they really cannot force you to go, and particularly as you have a job that has such long hours. The treatment is never supposed to interfere with your work, that is one of the guidelines that treatment providers must adhere to.

To have to quit a job t fit in with their groups is ridiculous, you should have contacted me then, so I could have spoken to them. I cannot believe, in this day and age, that they are actually thinking that their stupid little groups are more important than someone's job! What would have happened if you couldn't have secured another position for example?! Crazy.

So, if w can find out the REAL reason that they want you to go to that particular town to collect, that would be start, then we can find out if it's possible to get you set up at a chemist nearer to your house.

As for the TH's, there's not a lot we can do about that until you start giving drug free screens. But at least of we can get you into  chemist that's more convenient, it will be a little less hassle until you can work your way up to weeklies, which shouldn't be too long once you do start giving completely drug free screens.

This really is not right, as if you're employed, they are supposed to tailor your treatment to fit in around your job, for example offering late night appointments etc.

prospa

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2014, 07:45:25 PM »
Hi,

Thanks for your reply. :)

I think that particular chemist would be the only one in that town that would fit into my work times pattern being as it's a late night one. I want to go more into depth with you but i don't have time right now, hopefully tomorrow i will get time to sit and think about it for longer.

Oh and thank you for that favour, much appreciated!

OP8S

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2014, 11:52:24 AM »
Can a pharmacy nearer to you not provide you with the following days dose ? It would mean giving you one take home dose, but if you're having to pick up the next day then I don't really see a problem.
" The problem with the world is that the fanatics are so sure of themselves while the wiser people acknowledge doubts "      Bertrand Russell

sapphire

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2014, 01:41:16 PM »
It certainly would seem easier to get your TH's from a pharmacy nearer to your house or work. Some DSP's don't really want people using a chemist outside of the area they cover, but there certainly aren't regulations against it or anything. As for the drug screens though, you do need to give completely drug free ones before they'll start considering you for TH's.

Bottomline

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2014, 06:05:13 AM »
aw, sorry to hear you are having a bad time :( i hope you are okay now,