Author Topic: Recent Drug Deaths  (Read 6408 times)

Nurse Rachet

Recent Drug Deaths
« on: June 20, 2015, 10:34:19 AM »

sapphire

• Administrator
Re: Recent Drug Deaths
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2015, 01:30:32 PM »
Whilst on the face of it, it would seem that these people died because the heroin they used was particularly pure, one has to ask why, if they were in drug treatment, they were using heroin.

The treatment agency that covers that area is CRI, so one wonders if these people are ones out of the many, forced by CRI to reduce against their will, and have returned to illicit drug use against their will?

It says in the article that there was strong local opposition to CRI taking over from the NHS as the area's drug treatment provider, so I imagine this will ignite that debate again too.

OP8S

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2015, 02:12:37 PM »
It's sad but most people who post on this site have seen this coming & I can't say I'm surprised which DSP was involved . If people are still using then they are not receiving a high enough dose . I know ( in theory ) people shouldn't be reduced against their will but if someone is regularly giving positive test results can they be encouraged to increase their dose of meth .
It sounds rather odd for prescriber's to threaten to increase their dose instead of reduce it in these opiophobic times but it makes more sense than chucking them off their script should they keep giving positives .

That's if the object of treatment is to save lives & minimise harm done by the use of substances punted by organised criminal organisations . You would assume that is what drug treatment is all about , is it though ? Or is it just about " normalising " people who prefer the effects of one substance over the other .

I hope the MP brings this up in Westminster , more than half the country accepts that the laws surrounding the use of drug's needs a good overhaul . How many more deaths until they get around to addressing this issue .
" The problem with the world is that the fanatics are so sure of themselves while the wiser people acknowledge doubts "      Bertrand Russell

Scallywag

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2015, 10:47:22 PM »
I'm not sure if you can  correlate the two things so easil ,  as many people use on top of a script by choice, not necessity. I certainly think it requires investigation but many times in the past when we have raised the risks of higher purity heroin, many users asked me where they could score it.
Drug related deaths are multi faceted in my experience.. sad losses though however caused.

OP8S

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2015, 05:04:04 PM »
Any substance that can cause harm to people is surrounded by legislation & regulated, from foodstuff  to uranium . Apart from those that have been left in the hand's of organised crime for the last 100 years thanks to the " war on drugs " . If you look at it from a logical perspective without the hysteria provided by our media our Government has failed to reduce the harm done by a handful of substances by not regulating the market .

They have to admit & many have already that this 100 year war on drugs has failed miserably before moving on to a more compassionate society , where we're all safer .
" The problem with the world is that the fanatics are so sure of themselves while the wiser people acknowledge doubts "      Bertrand Russell

Scallywag

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2015, 09:15:18 PM »
Any substance that can cause harm to people is surrounded by legislation & regulated, from foodstuff  to uranium . Apart from those that have been left in the hand's of organised crime for the last 100 years thanks to the " war on drugs " . If you look at it from a logical perspective without the hysteria provided by our media our Government has failed to reduce the harm done by a handful of substances by not regulating the market .

They have to admit & many have already that this 100 year war on drugs has failed miserably before moving on to a more compassionate society , where we're all safer .
Hi Op.. This government,  perhaps more than any i remember don't do compassion. As for the war on drugs? In my opinion it's never been about the substance, hence the absurdity. but more about how it legitimises the attack on people who use them. the blaming of crime upon them etc It enables budgets to develop more oppressive tactics e.g  linking drugs and terrorism.
The corporation lobbyists maintain prohibition because it would effect their interests, yet their product causes more damage than any other drug. Then we have the murdoch media who sell the message that drugs cause death and misery, yet celebs joke about their availability and use amongst themselves.. it's fucked up mate and unlikely to change.
Look at Cameron before the election... hinting we need to look at the drug problem.. now in power, he changes his view on that... that's the level of integrity we have running our lives. Drug related deaths are always sad, but as with soldiers who die in battle, it's collateral damage and changes nothing.

fixed

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2015, 02:01:30 PM »
two months ago a life long friend of mine who attended the same DSP was taken into Hospital on a sunday after collapsing due to liver problems ( Hep C ). He was released on the Thursday BUT as he was on Daily pickups CRI had stopped his scripts even though he had been maintained while in hospital & supposedly CRI had been informed of this. I met him outside the chemists & he had been waiting for over an hour for some one from CRI to call the chemists & reinstate his scrips as promised. I never found out if he got it sorted or not as I had to go due to other commitments. All I know is he had a friend with him waiting to take him to score if he couldn't get it sorted. 3 Days later he was dead. Local word on the street is that CRI killed him . Even more blood on CRI's hands. I cant say for sure that this is true or not as I don't know exactly what happened after seeing him for the last time on that afternoon but with all the threats of enforced reductions since the beginning of this year at this DSP I do wonder that the local kids could well be right.  I personally feel that if drug treatment was still being run by the NHS then these situations would not be happening & we would all be in a much safer place.

Scallywag

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2015, 04:57:28 PM »
Sorry to hear that story Fixed, but I work in the NHS and it's heading the same way sadly. Commissioner's only want recovery based services and the pressure to get people off scripts is growing not lessening.
How many more will have to die or suffer before it's stopped? I predict that pissing for your benefits is coming and being on meth/bup will be considered a postive sample and liable to sanction/reduction in benefits.

OP8S

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2015, 01:02:03 PM »
Yea Scally I'm well aware of the corporate system of Government that still sticks to the prehistoric tactic of " divide & rule " , keep the public mass in fear of one another is certainly a successful method when it comes to distracting people from the glaringly obvious truth .
Let the massive companies who have the money dictate to our puppets in power how they want the country to run so they can make even more money & then have even more power.
It's certainly the case in the multi-national company of the U.S.A. , the U.K. being only a sister company at best .

As for Cameron , I'd like to see a white cross painted on the street outside Number 10 for every drug death that occurs . Something similar to what happened in Vancouver . Not that you'd get near him or Number 10 he's so well insulated from the reality of what happens in the country HE'S meant to be running .

It's a sad state of affairs when simple logic can't be used to solve such a serious problem . Send letter's to MP's , I've done it , but don't expect them to even be read by the actual MP themselves . Your response will be written by a secretary though it will have the MP's signature at the bottom as by law they have to reply ( in-between glasses of malt whiskey & the odd line ).

Any real change must come from below , where do you start though ? Most people become quite apathetic once they've been given their green juice .

Talking of the NHS , I was quite pleased when they took over our service. 12 months later & I'm wishing we could return to our old provider . They appear to have hired a bunch of people half my age whose only experience has been read out of the " Road to Recovery " & don't seem to agree with the fact that I consider myself to be recovered . I take my medication daily , if it weren't for that then they would soon find out the difference between M.A.R. & a patient that's been set back 20 years thanks to their " encouraged reductions " .

Something else that I fail to understand , you'd think if anybody had any compassion then it would be a Dr. . The last prescribing Dr. I had was kicked out for as BDD put's it being " kind & compassionate " , she actually had experience of addiction in her family before becoming a Dr.

I've not changed one bit & am still civil , polite etc. with our new prescriber but am treated like an stone around the neck of our NHS because of my meth script, which really costs them a pittance compared to those who are prescribed other medications for problems that are related to their lifestyles .

Of course it's all down to finances these day's , but why should I be treated any different to the increasing amount of obese patients requiring medications more costly than mine ?

Sorry to hear about your friend Fixed , why not send a white cross  with their name on it to your MP it may at least raise awareness of the situation in your area ? I hope you got your problems sorted out & now have a different key , the last one sounded like a total bully . You have to wonder how these people get jobs in what should be a " caring " profession.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2015, 01:09:19 PM by OP8S »

fixed

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2015, 02:21:03 PM »
@ op8s, thanks for asking but my problems are still ongoing & could well be for some considerable time to come. As for the recovery agenda they keep trying to force me into my script is just enough to stop me feeling any real effects from using on top so in that respect im recovered from using gear from the streets which is all I really wanted  BUT any reduction would soon put an end to that situation & send me back to where I was 20+ years ago.
For me its maintenance or back to the streets which at the end of the day isn't exactly reducing crime which CRI is supposedly all about. Portugal looks more & more tempting after every appointment lately. The situation in Nottingham unfortunately does not surprise me in the least as I have seen this happen time & time again over the years as people are forced into a reduction they either don't want or are not ready for. Hopefully there will be an enquiery into all the DSP's & just maybe some good will come of it.
wont be holding my breath on it though.

OP8S

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2015, 04:39:14 PM »
That's exactly how I feel about my script , if I were to go much lower then the temptation of using on top would be greater. I have plenty of friends who are on lower doses & either use on top or save their meth for times when they're skint or the dope isn't worth doing . I've not used any gear of the street's for years , god knows what it's cut with now these legal highs are so widely available . Unless it comes from a pharmacy then I'm not interested . Without a script I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be so fussy = back to square one as you said .
People involved in treatment shouldn't find that a hard thing to understand , if they do then they're in the job for the wrong reason . I hope thing's work out for you at the DSP , I've got a mate who's complained about their treatment & it does seem to take an incredibly long time for them to sort out simple problems.
Best of luck.

fixed

« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2015, 12:44:28 PM »
OP8S, tell your mate to get a third party involved. in my personal experience you will never get anywhere with an internal complaint.

OP8S

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2015, 05:37:08 PM »
I think his complaint is going in with the help of CAB , though it still appears to be taking a while for it to go anywhere. Don't know whether that's a good thing or a bad thing ?
I do know that it's not the only complaint that's been put in so that's got to say something about the service.

sapphire

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2015, 10:33:42 AM »
I'm pretty sure that the 2 things cab be correlated quite easily, as the increase in people being forced off scripts, or onto reduced doses, has led to an increase in OD deaths. That is anti Harm Reduction is action right there!!

Fixed - what's going on with you now? Did you make a formal complaint?

fixed

« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2015, 01:06:10 PM »
@ saphie, Made a formal complaint via a third party which is now on going & could well be on going for quite some time.