Author Topic: Don't attend courses get prescription stopped  (Read 10866 times)

sapphire

• Administrator
Re: Don't attend courses get prescription stopped
« Reply #90 on: May 19, 2017, 04:27:23 PM »
That sounds like someone who is just signing prescriptions and not seeing patients, can't give the coroner much help if things go wrong.

I'm surprised they still allow it, and maybe now Delphi is in sole charge it won't be allowed to happen any more, but you're completely right, if (when) pts died, those Drs were unlikely to even know who they were, let alone anything about their treatment.

In my experience I have also found GP's to be far more realistic about people using on top etc.

For example, at my service, if you have your home broken into and your meds are stolen, even if you have a police report stating it was a genuine burglary, other stuff was nicked, your home trashed etc, hey categorically will not replace your meds.

I do understand th st you have to have rules, I'd you'd have too many undermedicated folk saying th st the dog set their homework every week, but there has to be room for movement in genuine circumstances, especially when the pt is known to be stable.

I left my handbag in my car once when I was in shared care years ago, and as I had a police report etc, and the police had told the DR that in their opinion I was genuine as the window was smashed, the GP replaced the script with no issues.

Taught me a lesson about making sure I never leave anything in the car though!!

simon

• Global Moderator
« Reply #91 on: May 19, 2017, 06:34:27 PM »
I'm surprised they still allow it, and maybe now Delphi is in sole charge it won't be allowed to happen any more, but you're completely right, if (when) pts died, those Drs were unlikely to even know who they were, let alone anything about their treatment.

In my experience I have also found GP's to be far more realistic about people using on top etc.

For example, at my service, if you have your home broken into and your meds are stolen, even if you have a police report stating it was a genuine burglary, other stuff was nicked, your home trashed etc, hey categorically will not replace your meds.

I do understand th st you have to have rules, I'd you'd have too many undermedicated folk saying th st the dog set their homework every week, but there has to be room for movement in genuine circumstances, especially when the pt is known to be stable.

I left my handbag in my car once when I was in shared care years ago, and as I had a police report etc, and the police had told the DR that in their opinion I was genuine as the window was smashed, the GP replaced the script with no issues.

Taught me a lesson about making sure I never leave anything in the car though!!
Lot of skin of the teeth stuff goes on I imagine and it is poor practice. As for lost meds I think it's ok to trust a patient once if everything smacks as genuine, if they aren't genuine then there's always a period of supervision to help people, after all some are bullied for medication and daren't admit it and it's hard to get to know, easy to say 'I'm worried you may be vulnerable and I'd like you to be supervised for a bit'. The story comes out in the end.

sapphire

• Administrator
« Reply #92 on: May 19, 2017, 07:39:27 PM »
Yes, ikwym, something that happens once is highly likely to be genuine, it's when it happens again and again that you'd be thinking hmmm and thinking about putting people back on daily!

simon

• Global Moderator
« Reply #93 on: May 19, 2017, 10:22:02 PM »
Yes, ikwym, something that happens once is highly likely to be genuine, it's when it happens again and again that you'd be thinking hmmm and thinking about putting people back on daily!
I recall a patient who had mild learning disabilities, he kept coming saying he'd lost his medication, in the end I put him on daily pick up, turned out he was being picked up and fetched to clinic and told to say he'd lost it. He was being bullied for his antipsychotics also, was visibly relieved when I did it and the bullying stopped, think I then changed his pharmacy so he could collect in peace and made him weekly collection again later on.

sapphire

• Administrator
« Reply #94 on: May 20, 2017, 03:17:02 PM »
That's awful, some people really are just scummy. I'm sure he was so relieved to be able to collect in peace and actually be able to keep his meds. Plus I'm sure his MH would have improved now he could keep his antipsychotics! Dunno why anyone would want them, if you don't need them they make you feel yucky, some people will just take anything for the sake of it. Poor bloke, at least he's OK now though.

OP8S

• Global Moderator
« Reply #95 on: May 20, 2017, 05:59:15 PM »
Yes whenever I hear of meds " being lost " I can usually tell whether it's a genuine loss or someone trying it on if I know the person, I'm sure any prescribing GP/Nurse who knows there patients would be able to make an educated guess. I had a bit of hand luggage stolen once, luckily I was homeward bound & it was the only time it's ever happened also it was while I was receiving my script from my GP so no big hassle. These days I'd probably be put back on daily obs if it were to happen.
" The problem with the world is that the fanatics are so sure of themselves while the wiser people acknowledge doubts "      Bertrand Russell

simon

• Global Moderator
« Reply #96 on: May 21, 2017, 10:04:29 PM »
That's awful, some people really are just scummy. I'm sure he was so relieved to be able to collect in peace and actually be able to keep his meds. Plus I'm sure his MH would have improved now he could keep his antipsychotics! Dunno why anyone would want them, if you don't need them they make you feel yucky, some people will just take anything for the sake of it. Poor bloke, at least he's OK now though.
Some people just have no compassion at all, why would people take such drugs, well some people will just take anything, odd when we used to have to force people to take them.