Author Topic: Doctors refusing methadone  (Read 8867 times)

seven

Doctors refusing methadone
« on: August 01, 2016, 10:30:49 AM »
Shame to STILL see doctors are spouting this BS....but my doctor who I must say is great is going away for a year and the new doctor continues the "we need to get you off in 2 years" crap even though I have for 30 years used methadone successfully (zero illegal drugs)and WORKED and paid tax all those years. What are the options if the new doctor refuses methadone?

simon

• Global Moderator
Re: Doctors refusing methadone
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2016, 10:58:35 AM »
Shame to STILL see doctors are spouting this BS....but my doctor who I must say is great is going away for a year and the new doctor continues the "we need to get you off in 2 years" crap even though I have for 30 years used methadone successfully (zero illegal drugs)and WORKED and paid tax all those years. What are the options if the new doctor refuses methadone?
You can quote him the NICE guidelines, current dept of health guidelines, involved PALS (patient advice and liaison service).

seven

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2016, 11:38:47 AM »
thanks

sapphire

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2016, 03:35:52 PM »
There's plenty of stuff you can do. Firstly you could print off and show him the NICE and Orange Book guidelines, then if that doesn't work you can make a formal complaint that you're being forced off methadone against your will. You can contact the PHE representative for your area, and they will speak to your service, as no one is supposed to be forced/coerced off their script.

seven

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2016, 11:09:02 AM »
Thanks for the advice, what's a PHE?

OP8S

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2016, 11:24:48 AM »
Public Health England
" The problem with the world is that the fanatics are so sure of themselves while the wiser people acknowledge doubts "      Bertrand Russell

sapphire

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2016, 02:32:54 PM »
Seven - have you seen my post about looking for patients that are being forcibly reduced off their scripts?

Have a read, and if you're interested please get in touch either by PM or email at sapphirematthews@gmail.com

You can do it all anonymously if that's what you'd prefer.

seven

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2016, 02:19:31 PM »
Thanks ...it seems ive just had a call and my methadone will not be available to pick up tommorrow...they have made an appointment for next week.....after 30 years working with methadone they surely cant pull a trick like this?

sapphire

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2016, 02:22:07 PM »
Why have the stopped the script all of a sudden? What do they expect you to do in between now and next week? Go back to using after 30 odd years and run the risk of an OD/contracting a BBV?

I would ring Release if I were you, they should be able to get someone to speak to your DSP to get your script sorted sooner than next bloody week!

seven

« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2016, 03:41:01 PM »
I have no idea I just got a call saying " regarding your methadone can you come in to see a doctor next week" ...my script runs out today.....and the "doctor" a known prohibitions....my doctors only been gone 3 weeks {he's on a years leave} and I get problems ...I work I don't have time to be messed about by prohibitionists

OP8S

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2016, 09:18:55 PM »
Are they going to put you down to 30ml if your meds run out before you've got your new script ?
Devious scumbags.
" The problem with the world is that the fanatics are so sure of themselves while the wiser people acknowledge doubts "      Bertrand Russell

sapphire

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2016, 03:54:33 PM »
So what's going on with this seven? Are you currently scriptless? If so, that's utterly criminal, and they wonder why people are using/dying/depressed?!

sapphire

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2016, 02:33:21 PM »
Seven - what's going on with all of this now?

OP8S

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2016, 06:19:27 PM »
Maybe too busy working & jumping through hoops to hold onto a maintenance script to have time to post, or worse case scenario too busy working & scoring. I do hope not though.
Scoring might take up less time actually. What a truly sad state of affairs when the people who are meant to be helping end up doing the opposite. I hope that the issue with the script sorted out appropriately for Seven. Treatment is patient led still is it ? Shouldn't be punitive ?

sapphire

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2016, 06:24:30 PM »
Lol, the amount of hoops they do make you jump through, you're right, scoring would be way quicker!

I was supposed to have a medical review this week, so I turned up the requisite 15 mins before the appointment time so they could UA me etc, only to be made to wait 20 mins to be told that "there's been a mix up" and I don't have a Dr's appointment.

Which is all fine, I can deal with that, but what I can't understand is why they couldn't have telephoned me to save me making the trip to the DSP? I had to take time out of work, which was awkward, and then to get told it' all for nothing is just annoying.

So now I have to take yet more time out of my schedule next week to go to another appointment, as to whether that one will actually happen, we will have to wait and see.

Why the hell they couldn't just phone me to tell me there had been some confusion I don't know. If I have to miss an appointment and I don't telephone in advance, I run the risk of being on the sharp end of the service manager's tongue, or god forbid, having my script messed with.

One little telephone call, when they have ALL of my possible telephone numbers, would be it be so difficult? Apparently so......