Author Topic: Doctors refusing methadone  (Read 8865 times)

OP8S

• Global Moderator
Re: Doctors refusing methadone
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2016, 06:40:07 PM »
Same happened to me twice in 10 days, emergencies apparently & 2 DSP staff did turn up for the 2nd appointment but not the Cons Dr so was basically a waste of everyone's time. A simple phone call would of saved me the 8 it cost me in bus fares & not made the DSP look so bloody disorganised. 10-20 mins with my old GP could accomplish what takes months of Recovery workers emailing each other, saves money apparently...?
" The problem with the world is that the fanatics are so sure of themselves while the wiser people acknowledge doubts "      Bertrand Russell

seven

« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2016, 11:49:56 AM »
lol well I never "score" well not for 30 years...I got lucky and a receptionist called me over and said "wait a minute" ..next a doctor called me in and said " ahh so you have been getting methadone 30 years" I said yes and then to my surprise he said "do you want me to see you while your doctor is away" ...I  have seen him the other week and have to see him again in 2 weeks and so far it looks good. In between that I had to spend 700 on injectable morphine (I don't do street drugs) and my laptop died..oh yes and of course WORK...btw what is a DSP??

sapphire

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2016, 05:14:25 PM »
DSP = Drug Service Provider

So you think it's going to be alright to continue getting your meds from the Dr now? That's good, as didn't they tell you there would be a very long wait until this other Dr came back from wherever he went?

seven

« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2016, 10:16:36 AM »
im sure they do this on purpose, I was due to see a doctor on the 28th and got a message saying appointment cancelled...

seven

« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2016, 10:21:43 AM »
ahh well ive never had a DSP...I used to go to a "drug clinic" way back in the 90s but they knew I had no problem so switched me to my doctors....at the moment its patchy as far as the doctor goes, I seem to have one that doesn't view me as sub human but the rest still have this "we are going to have you all off drugs in two years" thing...lol yep every drug except alcohol and I don't drink...

sapphire

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2016, 02:42:24 PM »
You're lucky to be able to get prescribed by a regular GP. I wish I could have that instead of having to go to a DSP. Having experienced both of them, I way prefer the GP prescribing method.

John Divney

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2016, 04:01:59 PM »
It is a relief Sapphire, to get your script from a GP and a practice that treats you as a patient with a specific problem. My GP must see a few as I do see obvious 'heads' in the waiting room now and then, but you would never know the practice treats drug users. I still feel it will end soon though, I don't really feel 100% secure.

OP8S

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2016, 07:17:37 PM »
GP any day of the week. My GP could do what it's taken the DSP to achieve in just a couple of visits, it's taken them 3 years & it's not even finalised yet so fingers crossed.
" The problem with the world is that the fanatics are so sure of themselves while the wiser people acknowledge doubts "      Bertrand Russell

sapphire

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2016, 04:34:14 PM »
Ugh, I'm jealous. They won't get any money here if they do it, so GP's refuse to prescribe at all. Everyone must go to the DSP. :(

seven

« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2016, 11:34:25 AM »
I suppose there is always private?

sapphire

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: October 16, 2016, 03:46:50 PM »
If you live in one of the very few parts of the country that have private treatment.

Or you can go to one of the private places that will post your script to a pharmacy near you, not sure I like the idea of that, being reliant on someone 300 miles away to post your script. What recourse do you have when it doesn't turn up?! At least with the DSP you can go down there and they can get it sorted the same day!

simon

• Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: October 16, 2016, 05:51:29 PM »
If you live in one of the very few parts of the country that have private treatment.

Or you can go to one of the private places that will post your script to a pharmacy near you, not sure I like the idea of that, being reliant on someone 300 miles away to post your script. What recourse do you have when it doesn't turn up?! At least with the DSP you can go down there and they can get it sorted the same day!
Electronic prescribing for CD's is now legal, sadly our software doesn't allow it yet. I think I'd only use it in emergencies though as I do like  to cast my eye over people.

sapphire

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: October 23, 2016, 03:55:32 PM »
I don't know if the private prescribers use it? Last I looked at it, which was about a year ago for someone, they were still posting scripts to peoples' local chemists, which seems a touch risky to me.

If the script doesn't turn up, it's not like you can go down to road to demand to know where it is!

simon

• Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: October 23, 2016, 09:12:42 PM »
I don't know if the private prescribers use it? Last I looked at it, which was about a year ago for someone, they were still posting scripts to peoples' local chemists, which seems a touch risky to me.

If the script doesn't turn up, it's not like you can go down to road to demand to know where it is!
I've no idea either and I've not been bothered enough to pester to get the software done, maybe it is but I don't know how to do it.

sapphire

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: October 29, 2016, 05:17:21 PM »
I know my own prescriber and a lot of the other ones do use the electronic script system, so I don't know if any of the (too few) private providers have implemented it, and if they have, has it meant they've had to increase costs to pay for the system install/software licensing etc!