Author Topic: Doctors refusing methadone  (Read 8866 times)

seven

Re: Doctors refusing methadone
« Reply #30 on: November 03, 2016, 05:14:40 PM »
how many private prescribers are there and how do you get to see one?

sapphire

• Administrator
« Reply #31 on: November 04, 2016, 03:07:47 PM »
There are a couple in London, one in the Stoke area, and The Priory can sometimes organise private Drs who will prescribe for you.

With the London ones you have to live within a 50 mile radius of London, - and the Stoke one will send the scripts to your chemist. You still have to start on daily supervised pickup etc as with a normal prescribed.

You also, with all of them have to prove you can afford the treatment.  They will not accept people on benefits, as there was a scandal a few years back where people on benefits were "clubbing in" and buying scripts together and sharing them. So people have to prove they have the means to pay for the script without leaving themselves skint. Generally meaning they don't accept people on benefits.

simon

• Global Moderator
« Reply #32 on: November 04, 2016, 04:47:35 PM »
I know there's cash to pay to the CQC now but I wonder if I could do this, could maybe earn a decent living with small charges.

OP8S

• Global Moderator
« Reply #33 on: November 06, 2016, 02:17:32 PM »
Force all your patients to remain parked maintained , don't waste cash on silly u/s or unwanted sessions with puritanical recovery bean counters & you could have a nice little earner there. I doubt very much that you would have any difficulty finding people who would rather pay 35-50 for such a service.  ;)
" The problem with the world is that the fanatics are so sure of themselves while the wiser people acknowledge doubts "      Bertrand Russell

simon

• Global Moderator
« Reply #34 on: November 06, 2016, 04:32:33 PM »
Force all your patients to remain parked maintained , don't waste cash on silly u/s or unwanted sessions with puritanical recovery bean counters & you could have a nice little earner there. I doubt very much that you would have any difficulty finding people who would rather pay 35-50 for such a service.  ;)
Very few of my patients see drug workers now, they don't see the need and as they were reduced it's not easy to get to see one.
I bet if I did it i'd take on every person  who couldn't pay and be paupered in no time at all.

OP8S

• Global Moderator
« Reply #35 on: November 06, 2016, 10:55:14 PM »
You big softie you should go on a CRI accounting , sorry recovery training course !
" The problem with the world is that the fanatics are so sure of themselves while the wiser people acknowledge doubts "      Bertrand Russell

sapphire

• Administrator
« Reply #36 on: November 11, 2016, 03:13:42 PM »
Actually, that's a point. If you go to a private service and they send your script to the chemist, how do they do drug screens or even check you're OK? If it's just over the phone, you could be telling them any old bollocks!

OP8S

• Global Moderator
« Reply #37 on: November 11, 2016, 03:27:27 PM »
I can't remember the last time I was tested !?

seven

« Reply #38 on: November 11, 2016, 04:40:42 PM »
Tested?  I havent taken a single drug since getting methadone....not one

simon

• Global Moderator
« Reply #39 on: November 12, 2016, 05:53:39 PM »
I imagine most people who can self fund have resources through working, private treatment is a lot kinder than public funded services in many cases. I imagine most people who self fund aren't very chaotic maybe?

John Divney

• Global Moderator
« Reply #40 on: November 12, 2016, 06:58:03 PM »
The NTA used to refer to us as PDUs, Problematic Drug Users, so any person seeking or needing treatment in the state run NHS clinics were all PDUs. Trouble is there was only shared care or GPs for people who weren't problematic, like me, and others on this site. Never had any problems around drugs, bar actually getting hold of them that is! PDUs need all that extra stuff, housing, social work, mental health, offending etc etc. I never heard of a category for non PDUs. Maybe we should go private, get away from this government madness they are currently running. Its the assumption that we are all PDUs that dictate the practices of these places, GPs don't do this because they haven't got the time and that's not their job, they deliver healthcare, so any nutters turning up asking for a script gets packed off to the CDT. Thats how it was anyway but as the CDTs got worse or decommissioned for cowboys like CGL who do not deliver healthcare or dual diagnosis, more and more people have fell through the cracks. GPs tried to pick up some of the more chaotic at first but the final nail in that coffin has been the LAs now having the money for drug treatment and the CCGs, the GPs bosses, having nothing to do with drug misuse; so now GPs don't do it either, because there is no money and hence the death rates and towns like Birkenhead going  down the tubes.

Foxbrush

« Reply #41 on: November 13, 2016, 07:54:28 PM »
I am incredibly angered and saddened by stories like this. In my opinion OST,albeit Methadone, Subutex or any other form is life saving medical treatment. No doctor in their right mind would stop a diabetic patient's insulin or an epileptic patient's anti seizure medication, both of which are required to potentially save their lives. It really is time for addiction to be seen not so much as a 'choice' but as a medical issue. In my opinion it's NO more OK to stop someone's OST script than it is to stop any other life saving medication. Harm reduction>abstinence is the only model that will go any way towards preventing crime and cutting hospital admissions and death rates.   
When they come downstairs from their Ivory Towers, idealists are very apt to walk straight into the gutter. ~Logan Pearsall Smith

sapphire

• Administrator
« Reply #42 on: November 14, 2016, 06:23:33 PM »
Yes Simon, the vast majority of people in private treatment seem to be very stable. Whether that's anything to do with better treatment and optimal dosing, I don't know?

seven

« Reply #43 on: November 15, 2016, 10:01:13 AM »
I am incredibly angered and saddened by stories like this. In my opinion OST,albeit Methadone, Subutex or any other form is life saving medical treatment. No doctor in their right mind would stop a diabetic patient's insulin or an epileptic patient's anti seizure medication, both of which are required to potentially save their lives. It really is time for addiction to be seen not so much as a 'choice' but as a medical issue. In my opinion it's NO more OK to stop someone's OST script than it is to stop any other life saving medication. Harm reduction>abstinence is the only model that will go any way towards preventing crime and cutting hospital admissions and death rates.

The whole term "addiction" is always loaded in their favour... now if you were to say drink 3 times a week you are "normal" BUT if in the same way you like say methadone you are suddenly an "addict" I know many people who use opiates but in no way can be considered "addicts"...but doctors ignore that fact and seem to want us to use the drug alcohol. I don't use alcohol I get nothing from it, in fact its very damaging. Then they question why you take it, there must be something lacking in your life...well why the hell do they drink! what are they lacking in their life? Since using (not abusing) Methadone I have not ever taken a single drug that's over 30 years that would seem to be a 100% success but then they don't care about that....

simon

• Global Moderator
« Reply #44 on: November 15, 2016, 10:28:27 AM »
The whole term "addiction" is always loaded in their favour... now if you were to say drink 3 times a week you are "normal" BUT if in the same way you like say methadone you are suddenly an "addict" I know many people who use opiates but in no way can be considered "addicts"...but doctors ignore that fact and seem to want us to use the drug alcohol. I don't use alcohol I get nothing from it, in fact its very damaging. Then they question why you take it, there must be something lacking in your life...well why the hell do they drink! what are they lacking in their life? Since using (not abusing) Methadone I have not ever taken a single drug that's over 30 years that would seem to be a 100% success but then they don't care about that....
If you drank 2-3 times a week a few units each time then an extended alcohol use questionaire should be done, so no, doctors don't want 'us' to drink or ignore it. I seem to be asked about alcohol or smoking every time I'm seen by my GP or practice nurse.