Author Topic: confidential information released to family member  (Read 2258 times)

tessama

confidential information released to family member
« on: November 01, 2016, 06:07:43 AM »
as a granma i often have a 9 year old child in my care. this means i have to store my methadone in a locked box (odd, as diabetics or other users of dangerous drugs can just be trusted to care for their loved ones, we obviously cant) and i also hAve to proye it by having my keyworker come and check every so often. so last week we booked a visit for november, yesterday my daughter,the childs mum, had a phone call from social services, a dept ive never had any dealings with at all, and the social worker read my notes to her over the phone. my dosage, problems ive recently had with buying extra methadone because they started a rapid reduction against my wishes, about how i feel anxious and unsafe.all of this taken out of context and frightened my daughter to death. luckily we have a great relationship and all my kids know about my script but they dont need to know any more. in 30 years ive never had one near miss or accident with the kids and poisons of any kind so they trust me. what if they didnt know? theres no reason why they should, my employers dont know,will they be the next ones to get a call? or my neighbours? im so angry i can barely function, do i have any course of action here? i want someones head on a plate right now

OP8S

• Global Moderator
Re: confidential information released to family member
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2016, 01:27:11 PM »
It does sound like a breach of confidentiality to me, have you ever agreed to have any information shared with family members with your DSP before ? Probably not, what's their reason for reducing your dose  ?
If I were you I'd contact RELEASE they provide very good legal advice & may get involved also. I know it's hard to keep your cool when you have reason to complain about treatment like this, I've had to make formal complaint's in the past but try not to lash out & keep a diary of things as they happen. If you do get angry & show any aggression towards your key or any other staff involved then they will use this against you.
Who's the provider ?
" The problem with the world is that the fanatics are so sure of themselves while the wiser people acknowledge doubts "      Bertrand Russell

tessama

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2016, 01:58:29 PM »
it was CRI but they recently changed their letters and i cant remember what they call themselves these days! seen em come, seen em go, anyway thanks for the calming advice.  i so rarely get angry that i find it hard to deal with.ive come off the ceiling now though. i will try release, thanks x :D

OP8S

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2016, 03:12:01 PM »
CGL now isn't it. Can't say that I'm surprised, sounds  very much like there work. Why the rapid reduction, were you ten minutes late for an appointment, did you give a positive for dope or have you just been on a script for longer than they think you should be on one.
It's always CRI/CGL that are the cause of complaints, well a good proportion of them anyway. Let us know how you get on.
" The problem with the world is that the fanatics are so sure of themselves while the wiser people acknowledge doubts "      Bertrand Russell

tessama

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2016, 04:16:17 PM »
i missed 2 appointments in a row, just forgot about them, so my fault but i did think the punishment was a little harsh. i got it all back in the end. havent given a dirty sample in 25 years,never been arrested and always worked so ive really played by the rules, just get a bit bummed off sometimes at being treated like lowlife. thanks, ill keep you updated

OP8S

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2016, 01:20:40 PM »
Naughty, naughty. Two appointments in a row  :o these people will use any reason they can to get you off medication that has obviously been of benefit to you for the last 25 years, they are ruthless & do not care about your health. All they care about is making money by achieving targets.
Can't understand why they have to keep checking that you're locking up your meth on such a regular basis, it sounds like a waste of time & money to me.

fixed

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2016, 02:52:56 PM »
this is one of the main reasons honesty is no longer the best policy when dealing with DSP's. I would recommend you contact release & keep notes & dates as this could well develop into a legal matter. breach of confidentiality is a serious offence. Don't get fobbed off by CGL lies about what you can & cant do, they will try to discourage you so just stick to your guns & say as little as possible when being interigated by your key worker. Bin there done that got the t-shirt.

sapphire

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2016, 03:00:57 PM »
Tessama, this sounds like a breach of medical confidentiality, unless you've signed a form at your treatment provider that they can discuss your treatment with Social Services (which I imagine you'd have had to), so if you did that, the prescribed did nothing wrong.

So, the question remainsdo Social Services have permission to discuss your treatment with your daughter, if they don't, that's who you should be complaining against.

I would speak to Release www.release.org and they will be able to give you the best advice, and point you I  the direction of a legal team, of needs be.

tessama

« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2016, 08:17:59 AM »
thanks everyone. im probably the only one here who doesnt have a gripe with CGL. ive been in touch with release and theyve got the legal team on it and ive e mailed the county social services boss. and ive withdrawn my consent to have my information exchanged. so now its just wait and see, but im still furious and will not be fobbed off   >:(

OP8S

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2016, 12:14:38 PM »
Good news for a change, glad you're getting help from release. I hope the appropriate person gets what's coming to them.

Scallywag

« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2016, 04:58:13 PM »
Hi,
I'm confused as to how social services had access to your notes as they are a separate organisation.
In terms of safeguarding, if there were concerns that would override the confidentiality agreement but you should have been told what the concerns were... by the sounds of what you said there are no grounds for doing what they did. Good luck with the case and i hope you show them up for their error.