Author Topic: CGL Again..!  (Read 4202 times)

John Divney

• Global Moderator
CGL Again..!
« on: November 02, 2016, 02:55:07 PM »
On their FaceBook page CGL proudly state the following fact:

"Did you know Wirral Ways to Recovery is part of change, grow, live? Over 2,700 service users every day remain in recovery
support with CGL after leaving structured treatment."

2,700 still in contact with services. I was under the impression that recovery was about leaving services and getting on with life without them, discharged drug free voluntarily or pressured to leave as is more often the case. In February 2015 when CGL took over the contract there were, according to NDTMS, 1824 opiate users in treatment, in August 2016 there were 1748. So 76 opiate users discharged in 18 months, maybe these are the 74 dead that has been reported, who knows. So who are these 2,700 users who every day 'remain in recovery support'? An extra 876 users still in treatment. As I have said before, deaths beside, I don't see them doing much for Wirrals hard core heroin/crack users. Its like it was in the early 90s now, street use and crime everywhere. If as PHE say heroin use is down, young people choosing not to use because of stigma etc. who are these extra 876?

Surely any recovery service worth its salt, as opposed to the nasty NHS who only park people on MMT, should really be shrinking year on year as it discharges more and more people erroneously kept in treatment by the nasty people up at Wirral Drug Service. The commissioners then must be okay with the fact that since CGL have arrived they have expanded by almost 50%. Remarkable.

OP8S

• Global Moderator
Re: CGL Again..!
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2016, 03:56:16 PM »
They do love their propaganda splashed all over the electronic interweb, does anyone check their figures I wonder ? Or are they secretly cooking the book's. People inform me about a  lot of NSP's that you can bang up which don't show up in any of the standard u/s pots & just today I was wondering how so many young 'uns appear to be so wasted so early in the morning ? Doesn't seem like progress to me, more like a disaster in the pipeline. At least they're recovered though....mmm I think not.
" The problem with the world is that the fanatics are so sure of themselves while the wiser people acknowledge doubts "      Bertrand Russell

John Divney

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2016, 05:41:01 PM »
Errr, the FaceBook entry I referred to has mysteriously gone..! Someone is lurking methinks. Hello CGL..!

OP8S

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2016, 03:03:17 PM »
That is odd John, they maybe had a lot of recovered people changing their minds suddenly. Were there any pictures of the purple hero's, if I remember correctly CRI posted some photo's of a lot of shiny happy people wearing purple t-shirts a while back but forget to mention that they were actually paid employees & not shiny happy people who had just been kicked of their scripts for whatever trivial reason they could think of.
That was CRI though & you're talking about CGL, different acronym, same old tricks eh ?
" The problem with the world is that the fanatics are so sure of themselves while the wiser people acknowledge doubts "      Bertrand Russell

John Divney

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2016, 03:26:01 PM »
It is odd really and I know its numbers and its boring but NDTMS is how they count us addicts and then work out how many services we need and hence how much it will all cost. That statement from CGL makes no sense which ever way you look at it, but I'm not an expert.
You could also look at it another way and say that it states quite clearly, ''Over 2,700 service users every day remain in recovery support with CGL after leaving structured treatment." So does this mean 2,700 people have left treatment since they arrived and gone into recovery. This is more people than were actually in treatment, 1824 according to NDTMS, than when they arrived. Where are all these people coming from? And if 2,700 people have left structured treatment that means there is no one on a script in Birkenhead, seriously. And finally we did have 1,824 addicts parked on methadone in February 2015, we now have 2,700 parked in recovery. Progress indeed. IDS will be happy at least.

simon

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2016, 03:52:53 PM »
That is odd John, they maybe had a lot of recovered people changing their minds suddenly. Were there any pictures of the purple hero's, if I remember correctly CRI posted some photo's of a lot of shiny happy people wearing purple t-shirts a while back but forget to mention that they were actually paid employees & not shiny happy people who had just been kicked of their scripts for whatever trivial reason they could think of.
That was CRI though & you're talking about CGL, different acronym, same old tricks eh ?
It was Derek who told that story but I thought it was about the NTA that decided using service users wasn't a good plan and they wouldn't look right, wouldn't be pretty enough or smile and look recovered enough.

John Divney

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2016, 11:00:24 AM »
I wrote last month to the Government minister regarding deaths on the Wirral and CGL, got reply yesterday, clear as mud.

Dear Mr Divney,

Thank you for your correspondence of 12 October about the quality of drug treatment services in the Wirral since the contract was awarded to CGL.

In response to recent increases in drug-related deaths in England and Wales, an inquiry was convened by Public Health England (PHE) and the Local Government Association to investigate the causes of this rise and how to prevent future premature deaths.  The inquiry report was published on 9 September.

The inquiry’s report highlights a number of principles for action by local authorities, drug treatment providers and others, including:

- coordinate whole-system approaches that can address health inequalities and meet complex needs, with better access to physical and mental healthcare and other support, such as housing and employment;
- improve access to good quality drug treatment, especially for those not currently in treatment who are harder to reach through, for example, outreach and needle and syringe programmes;
- maintain a personalised approach to drug treatment and recovery support, tailored to the user’s needs, according to national guidelines; and
- ensure that the risk of death is properly assessed and understood, addressing any identified poor practice.

PHE is working with local areas to make sure that the inquiry’s recommendations are implemented and that good drug services are available and accessible to all.

As you note, Wirral Council has contacted PHE to ask for support, which PHE is providing through its North West Centre.  PHE is working with Wirral Council, and a number of other local authorities, to help them better understand the data on local drug use, treatment demand and so on, which will enable better provision of treatment services, and to support them to reduce the number of drug-related deaths.

As this work is ongoing it would not be appropriate for the Department of Health to comment further, but please be assure that the Government is committed to helping everyone with a drug problem get the help and support they need.

I hope this reply is helpful.

Yours sincerely,

Malcolm Jones
Ministerial Correspondence and Public Enquiries
Department of Health

simon

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2016, 01:17:58 PM »
I can assure you there's no good ever to come from writing to MP's, tried that many times, you do get a reply though, the papers lovely.

sapphire

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2016, 03:02:20 PM »
I wouldn't trust CGL if they told me that the sky was blue!

OP8S

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2016, 02:29:32 PM »
It was Derek who told that story but I thought it was about the NTA that decided using service users wasn't a good plan and they wouldn't look right, wouldn't be pretty enough or smile and look recovered enough.

Apologies, my mistake. I'm sure CGL would never do anything as devious, well maybe manipulate a few figures they are all about numbers after all.

simon

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2016, 04:28:01 PM »
Apologies, my mistake. I'm sure CGL would never do anything as devious, well maybe manipulate a few figures they are all about numbers after all.

Services don't meet targets for payment by results by telling the truth. I've even heard of probation turning positive drug tests to negative ones, got to meet targets.

sapphire

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2016, 03:10:29 PM »
They seem to have a full on propaganda department. I wonder how much that costs the government/local authorities?!

OP8S

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2016, 03:31:29 PM »
That's a few thousand that could go towards actual treatment, instead it provides some recovery bean counter with a wage.

simon

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2016, 05:48:15 PM »
They seem to have a full on propaganda department. I wonder how much that costs the government/local authorities?!
Wooly terms in tenders, publishing costs?

sapphire

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2016, 06:21:10 PM »
Exactly. They are bloody dangerous and need to be stopped. They seem to be employing Drs that should never be working in drug treatment. If Des do not believe in medically assisted recovery, and do not understand the guidelines and best practise in the field, they shouldn't be allowed to practice in it.