Author Topic: Help regarding raising a complaint please  (Read 3251 times)

Fudgecakes

Help regarding raising a complaint please
« on: November 12, 2016, 09:32:29 PM »
Hello All.  I was wondering if someone would be able to help me make an official complaint regarding my (non)treatment at CRI,  On Friday I had an appointment with the doctor there.  As soon as I sat down the doctor said there would be consequences because I had fallen off my script, thus he was not going to give me a prescription for methadone until Tuesday  next week.  I was very sick at the time (visibly so) and roughly about 28 hours into withdrawal.  I asked if I could please have a script for today covering me for the weekend.  Then, its a bit of a blur but the Dr started shouting at me, stating that falling of the script was unacceptable behavior and I needed to be punished.  I think I told him to go F himself at which point he shouted at me to get out of the room.  I got out in quite a state at which point my key worker chased after me, apologized alot and told me it was totally wrong what the dr just did.  She witnessed the whole thing as she was in the room at the time.  She said this doctor sees things very black and white and can not understand when people fall of script, make the wrong choices and would rather spend xyz instead of being on a daily script.  Anyway, as a consequence I have had to do things this weekend just to be normal until I can get a script on Tuesday.  I am really unhappy with my treatment and cant understand why this doctor feels he has the right to shout at his patients.  I have had a really really bad time of it recently (like most I would guess) and this really has pushed me over my limits.  I also asked this doctor to re-refer me to the community mental health team previously as I have BPD & Bipolar 2 and a twenty something year track record of poor mental health.  He has refused to refer me until I start giving negative pee results.  Can anyone make sence of all this and help me complain please.  If you think I am wrong then please be honest but the way I feel I have been treated is very upsetting to say the least.  Thanks.

Fudgecakes

Re: Help regarding raising a complaint please
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2016, 09:40:09 PM »
I forgot CRI are now CGL I think. 

sapphire

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2016, 06:17:14 PM »
If the keyworker also thought you'd received bad treatment, then first port of call is the manager of the service.

You could speak to them, or you could make a formal written complaint.

In your post you said that you lost your temper and told the Dr to F off, you need to be really careful not to lose your temper again as physical or verbal abuse can be reason for them to completely discharge you.

To not refer you to local mental health until you give negative drug screens is punitive and wrong. You don't need them to refer you, your own GP can do that.

If you don't get any joy from the service manager, you'd need to speak to someone like Release (release.org.uk), and they will act as a third party to mediate between you and the service.

Fudgecakes

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2016, 01:39:14 PM »
hi sapphire. Thanks for the reply. Yes i did lose my temper but its not nice to be shouted at by a doctor.  Anyway i received an appology from him yesterday. Im still rather unhappy though as I dont think he has any.understanding what so ever about his patients let alone any empathy.

OP8S

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2016, 01:46:53 PM »
An apology ? From a Dr , they must be in the wrong! Keep up the pressure & try to keep your cool. Best of luck.
" The problem with the world is that the fanatics are so sure of themselves while the wiser people acknowledge doubts "      Bertrand Russell

seven

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2016, 10:21:29 AM »
you should always record any meeting...and no its not illegal I have done it and taken the recordings to court (nothing to do with doctors)...they don't like it but its legal

OP8S

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2016, 10:59:36 AM »
yes there are some good app's available & some will even send you a pdf transcript if you pay a few quid, no they don't like it but they certainly take time to think about what they say.
" The problem with the world is that the fanatics are so sure of themselves while the wiser people acknowledge doubts "      Bertrand Russell

seven

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2016, 11:05:27 AM »
never tell them

OP8S

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2016, 11:09:35 AM »
better just telling them then they won't arse you around, making complaints is very dull & lengthy.

seven

« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2016, 11:31:50 AM »
I much prefer to not tell them, its much better to have them lie and make outrageous statements that they cannot back out of rather than them being guarded. its very amusing when you go to court and someone (a respected boss) says under oath they didn't say or do something and you produce a recording showing them to be total liars..it kind of swings the court to your side rather quickly

OP8S

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2016, 12:17:34 PM »
I'm all for keeping things simple, as far as my script goes. Having to file complaints, follow up on them isn't much fun. Been there, done it, if they're wrong & you can point out to your provider that the Orange Guidelines back your own point of view up then they tend to back down. My old GP used to like the fact that I was an informed patient & knew how I wanted to be treated, there has been a few occasions when drug workers have had to leave the room because I wasn't taken in by their bullshit. This new wave of enthusiastic Recovery workers only seem to be given the Recovery Agenda for training, mention guidelines to them & they soon shut up.

sapphire

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2016, 03:48:44 PM »
I would not advise recording people without their permission.

Have you read the Orange Book Guidelines Fudge? It's worth trying to plough through them, as you can then point out to your provider thatwhat they're doing is contrary to the best practice guidelines, and as OP says, they will often back down.

If they don't, that's when you'd need to look into making a formal complaint/contracting PHE.

simon

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2016, 05:21:07 PM »
I would not advise recording people without their permission.

Have you read the Orange Book Guidelines Fudge? It's worth trying to plough through them, as you can then point out to your provider thatwhat they're doing is contrary to the best practice guidelines, and as OP says, they will often back down.

If they don't, that's when you'd need to look into making a formal complaint/contracting PHE.
I agree I think it's totally unfair to record people without permission. When people have used phones in the past to record my consultations and I've found out it's been people with controlling partners who have been subject to domestic abuse, it always makes me suspicious this is the case.
I can't see why people can't raise complaints and keep up the pressure and ask to record things if there's some reason to and say what the reason is. complaints can go higher than service managers of course and there's no reason that they can't be escalated if people still aren't happy.

sapphire

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2016, 04:27:58 PM »
Exactly Simon. It's very underhanded taping a consultation without permission. If you're THAT fed up with your service/treatment, there are avenues that you need to go down.

If people still think they need to record their appointments, it's just courtesy toadvise all involved of what you're doing.

simon

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2016, 04:37:43 PM »
I see more and more jobs advertised with 'no experience necessary' someone could genuinely not know they are doing something wrong unless the problem is raised.
I know it's not the case in the original post but there's lots of people just doing what they are told and don't know there's another way. There's a lot of people working in the field who won't be aware of any guidelines and I've known doctors and nurses not aware of guidelines so it's not just people who are untrained. Raising an issue could help others, then I could be wearing rose tints today.