Author Topic: Lifeline closing?  (Read 6038 times)

OP8S

• Global Moderator
Re: Lifeline closing?
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2017, 04:49:44 PM »
If substances weren't made illegal & sold/prescribed under regulation ( as alcohol & nicotine is at present ) then there would be very few people who needed to fekkin RECOVER. Not all drinkers are alcoholics , not all tobacco smokers are dependent. Prohibition is the cause of addiction/ dependency.
" The problem with the world is that the fanatics are so sure of themselves while the wiser people acknowledge doubts "      Bertrand Russell

seven

« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2017, 04:42:44 PM »
True I have NOTHING to recover from....im a non drinking vegetarian just because you dont like the fact I use methadone does not make me a junkie anymore than you users of the drug alcohol being alcoholics ..I use methadone for various reasons ...not being able to cope with life is not one of them. Doctors stop calling everyone addicts its stupid....mind you I remember a time when DOCTORS called women who had sex "mentally feeble imbeciles" and men who masturbated as having something wrong with them....doctors....you do NOT always get things right and many times make things worse for people

sapphire

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2017, 11:37:08 AM »
I'm not sure if I agree with the complete legalisation of all drugs, but I do agree with something like Portugal, so that people aren't criminalized just because they have a substance use issue.

seven

« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2017, 04:04:54 PM »
Legislation makes zero difference, im going to import what I want whether the state likes it or not...just like the drug alcohol was brought in in prohibition times. Laws only kill people who then have to turn to dirty drugs and using a non state drug is not a "substance" issue...large numbers of people can manage to carry out a normal life paying tax working buying houses....with no problems. The problem is the responsible user is invisible all people see is junkies and come to the conclusion every drug user is like that and doctors dont help with their constant bleating of "addiction" they purposely keep up the lie that we all have a problem when we dont. Infact we the invisible user are kept out of the discussions in favour of the "vulnerable" ..how would it be if doctors said every drinker was a meths drinking tramp? We know thats not true because we see responcible drinkers but doctors refuse to acknowledge us.

simon

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2017, 09:34:47 PM »
Lot of people on OST 'invisible' and just get on with things, well if they are able to without too much interference.

sapphire

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2017, 04:41:58 PM »
Lot of people on OST 'invisible' and just get on with things, well if they are able to without too much interference.

Paradoxically this is part of the problem. Because people cannot 'see' ost pts doing well they just assume all ost pts are the chaotic loud ones who beg and drink in town centres.

No one stops to wonder WHY these pts are so chaotic, broken system perchance?! Higher incidences if people like this in CGL/Addaction etc areas?!

simon

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2017, 05:40:22 PM »
Paradoxically this is part of the problem. Because people cannot 'see' ost pts doing well they just assume all ost pts are the chaotic loud ones who beg and drink in town centres.

No one stops to wonder WHY these pts are so chaotic, broken system perchance?! Higher incidences if people like this in CGL/Addaction etc areas?!
Exactly! I keep seeing more chaotic people in town, hope with new service it settles but then Fentanyl and and and...

OP8S

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2017, 11:36:57 AM »

Yes, I walk into the pharmacy collect my meds & return around the same time next week. To any other customers I appear no different to them, then there are the people who come in groups, stumble around knocking things over & talk about things that are best not talked about in public.
Probably a bit similar to a pub, you get the people having a quite drink & others falling over,causing bother drug users are as varied as any other group but as usual it's the loud, problematic users that draw the uneducated public's attention.
" The problem with the world is that the fanatics are so sure of themselves while the wiser people acknowledge doubts "      Bertrand Russell

simon

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2017, 06:07:22 PM »
Yes, I walk into the pharmacy collect my meds & return around the same time next week. To any other customers I appear no different to them, then there are the people who come in groups, stumble around knocking things over & talk about things that are best not talked about in public.
Probably a bit similar to a pub, you get the people having a quite drink & others falling over,causing bother drug users are as varied as any other group but as usual it's the loud, problematic users that draw the uneducated public's attention.
We had a fantastic pharmacist, retired now through ill health I think, I used to send people who weren't suitable for the usual pharmacies, he had nothing to nick other than palmolive mens shaving soap and liquorice sticks. He used to come in work at 0700hrs, bottle up all the Methadone and people were in his shop less than a minute., nobody waited, he loved them all and the staff were enthused by him too.
In 15 years I never called and he was off sick or on holiday, when it snowed he walked and stayed in a hotel to make sure he was at work.
Sadly he had a kidney problem, had one removed I think, he's very much missed.

OP8S

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2017, 04:56:52 PM »
Sounds very much like the pharmacist who owned all our local pharmacies at one point, years ago. The last time I returned for my new MMT script he asked whether " I preferred the taste to black rum "& was an absolute gentleman. One time phoned me while I was working on a Sunday night to make sure I was aware of some change to the script. Unfortunately he thought bugger this , sold several chemists for a fortune & now works when he's not travelling the world. Working overtime was never a problem as I new he would be there until at least 8pm. There were quite a few times when I was still observed that I would phone him to say I might be late picking up a dose, was told just to knock on the back door.
It's a shame he sold up to a consortium with less of the personal touch but I would of done the same if I were him. Never even needed to check what was in the bag while he was dispensing , the few times he may of forgotten an item he would replace it without question as he knew who would be trying it on & who wouldn't.
When the pharmacy had their 100 year celebration of being in the same building the centre of the window display was a large bottle of tincture of opium( diamorphine ), tincture of cannabis as well as laudanum & cocaine lozenge .
I think if these substances had been left for pharmacies to dispense, via prescription or  even OTC things would still be better than the current situation.

simon

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: June 19, 2017, 06:35:06 PM »
Clearly we have some excellent pharmacists and they're a vital link between drug services and patients, keeping us all safe - they see people the most.

OP8S

• Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: June 20, 2017, 03:44:13 PM »
They do appear to be the minority though, just like top Dr.s & drug workers. Pretty sure anyone of these professions that bothers their arses looking on this site is in the top 1%

simon

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: June 20, 2017, 10:25:30 PM »
They do appear to be the minority though, just like top Dr.s & drug workers. Pretty sure anyone of these professions that bothers their arses looking on this site is in the top 1%
Hopefully we can get more to post!

OP8S

• Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: June 21, 2017, 04:16:32 PM »
I don't know the answer to that one, we need more users to post about their own experiences. Maybe John & I are the only people who want to resist abstinence & the Recovery agenda, though I doubt that highly. From speaking to a handful of people in my area I get the feeling that they either can't be bothered with the fight to remain in treatment so have told our Recovery team to stick their piss tests / scripts where the sun certainly doesn't shine. Or then there are those like the lad down the street from me who has been encouraged to kick the nasty meth habit, reduced off the 20ml script & is now asking me if I want to join him for a hit of the good stuff or drink a bottle of vodka with him. Very few people I am in contact with have changed their lifestyles, but they've got themselves as far away from the new Recovery agenda as possible, so to anyone looking at the books Recovery works. It's been the biggest scam ever & has pushed the whole substance using community back underground again.
I'm not surprised one bit, the Cons psych made it clear that they wouldn't support me in getting my driving licence back, even though I'm probably the most stable patient prescribed for, I could of had a lot of decent job offers with my licence but they refused to give me opioid differential tests because they cost a few quid compared to pissing in a cheap u/s test pot. Luckily my GP is willing to do this now & says he'd happily sit in a car with me. I don't suppose I'll get my HGV Class 1 back but just being able to say you have your car licence opens up many career opportunities.
Recovery in Scotland is being used to force people into giving up a medication which has been a positive step for them, everyone who knows me well says that getting a maintenance script was one of the best decisions I've made. Life has been very stable & the only thing that has been the cause of any bother is various peoples opinion of what Recovery is!

sapphire

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: June 23, 2017, 02:17:16 PM »
I've had some absolutely amazing pharmacists, they were/are exceptional and really know their stuff about ost etc, some more than keyworkets/esp Dr's!