Author Topic: Shocked but not suprised.  (Read 12834 times)

maggiem

Shocked but not suprised.
« on: May 07, 2012, 06:13:55 PM »
Hi all.
Well since last post that was full of optimism I have negative and positive news that has made me lose faith in 'THE SYSTEM'. 
Daughter was on treatment for the past 8-10 years (not sure exactly) but her treatment has been haphazard and in retrospect dangerous.  OK she was , because of her Heroin use, erratic but she was desperate for help and I am sorry to say the SYSTEM let her down big time.  I was always a believer that there was a way out for her within the treatment agencies but they let her down big time.
She was let down time and time by change of key workers, no one was there to keep the flow of her treatment, promised this that and everything.  In the end she became a Methadone and alchohol addict that couldn't cope and when she relapsed they kicked her out without a care in the world for someone else to pick up the tab!!
My opinion has changed about treatment now, the SYSTEM has let her down big time, has Methadone?  I never thought I would say this but I think Heroin should be legalised.  Alcohol is the big bad boy in my eyes.
Luckily for her she is now alchohol and methadone free and looking forward to a new life.  Her life will change for good or she dies, thats it.  She was lucky to find a friend for life that could change her life. 

I wish I had a magic wand that could change all those out there too.

Thanks for all your support.

sapphire

• Administrator
Re: Shocked but not suprised.
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2012, 10:36:18 AM »
Wow, great news for you and your daughter Maggie!  So pleased for you both!!  ;D

OP8S

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2012, 01:46:08 PM »
If you're not bothered about staying anonimous, you can alway's write to your local commisioner, DAAT etc. as the mother of somebody who has been through the system & tell them where you think they are failing whether it's on a local scale or you support the wider prescribing of diamorphine in general, that's a good one for your MP.

The rest of us appear to be clinging onto prescriptions at the moment & some continually hassled into unwanted reductions by key's who know nothing of addiction. I'm glad all is well with you & your daughter at least she doesn't have to tow any DSP policies or waste half an hour with any key's anymore.   :)
" The problem with the world is that the fanatics are so sure of themselves while the wiser people acknowledge doubts "      Bertrand Russell

skroe

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2013, 09:47:24 PM »
I just had to say, ive read your posts other time, just read your news about your daughter going to university..
i'd love to go back I left in my last year a few months before gradation, due to alcohol addiction really I hope to go back in a few years. I may save up first
Anyway what great news!..you must be the happiest person out there.as your daughter.

What you said about heroin legelision would seem strange to some people.
but speaking to my pharmacist just Friday, he told me that he beleves strongly that clean diamorphine or medical heroin should be avail to addicts, he said its cheaper than methadone, he's said all street gear sold by street pharmacists/dealers does more harm, than medical heroin.. people use drugs for many reasons why make them criminals for doing so, humans have used drugs for 1000's of years
there's got to be a money reason behind probation..
MPs are hypocrite's, they sell the most toxic drugs, but keep substance's that many are far safer..
a lot of people that dabbled reconationaly  in drugs move on, including heroin, I know a lot of people that dabbled in it, no longer do so.
its a myth that you'll become an addict after a few times..
anyway good news, you must be so very proud.
if she's dyslexic, and has been tested she could get a new computer, etc to help her at lectures and course work, tell her to check it out if her LEA helps at freshers week..
great news for you both.. :)

sapphire

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2013, 01:14:15 PM »
Maggie, I feel too that for some people methadone just is not the answer. In the UK, before we had methadone clinics, registered addicts were prescribed pharmaceutical heroin, and it seemed to work a lot better than the current system as far as people eventually either ceasing use of their own free will, or at least staying healthy as they were not polluting their bodies with cutting agents.

I think that like OP has said, a letter to your MP might be a good idea?

steve

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2013, 10:25:18 AM »
How sad is it when real people are being treated in ways that seem prehistoric, bad services are alive and well on every level it seems, "her life will change for good,or she dies " powerful, good luck with all your futures

Bottomline

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2014, 10:58:59 AM »
How sad is it when real people are being treated in ways that seem prehistoric, bad services are alive and well on every level it seems, "her life will change for good,or she dies " powerful, good luck with all your futures

yeah, nailed it.