Author Topic: Generic 2mg Bupe shortage/manufacturing problem?  (Read 3361 times)

Foxbrush

Generic 2mg Bupe shortage/manufacturing problem?
« on: January 03, 2018, 04:45:23 AM »
I arrived at Boots yesterday morning as usual for my weekly Bupe pickup and found, to my dismay, that they had written a note on my script saying they 'owed' me all my 2mg tabs.

Owe me? lmfao, someone had signed off on that script saying it was ok to 'owe' me pretty much all of a medication I needed to take that morning and send me away with just the 0.4s, not enough for a full dose for one day, but they were quite willing to give me just the 0.4mgs knowing that...

They apparently had no 2mg tabs due to some kind of 'manufacturing issues'. They'd known about this for THREE WEEKS due to the script being extended because of Christmas.

So, Boots seemed to only contact other Boots, which were out of my area and I have no transport, I agreed to go dispite this as I will cooperate to keep DSP happy, but when we contacted CGL, who knew NOTHING about this issue, and I will give them credit, they were helpful in this instance as they immediately contacted another pharmacy across town who had stock in. Thankfully this script hadn't been dispensed yet so they were able to give it to me to take there, if it had I would have been stuck.

I have to pick up at this other pharmacy next week too. I quite like the atmosphere in there, supervision clients get priority in the line, which I can understand having once been supervised myself, they seem to have it worked out, seem more organized than Boots. I dunno, I just hope they don't get hit by this issue too.

I'm going to get my keyworker to make sure they're ok for next week. He's got a job to do and he's going to have to do it, I've proven to him I can manage a balls up without losing my temper like he thinks I would. I used to when I was frazzled on Benzos and god knows what else, but being a survivor of a horrendous withdrawal from Benzos, I have quite a long fuse now  ::)

I will be taking this further with Boots, as someone knew about it for three weeks, they had the script for three weeks and did nothing to rectify it. I will be making a formal, written complaint, I think DSP will as well.

I asked them what they expected me to do. They said 'try coming back in the evening', for one I'm not sure I could last that long due to the timing of my dose, and two, who's to say they would have sorted it by then, no way was I waiting until places close and people go home.

We're sorting this, but I just wondered if anyone else had encountered issues with the 2mg Bupe tabs?.

The ones I get given have Almas on them as the company that produces them, and when I've Googled it, I've not been able to find anything about a manufacturing issue.

Did Boots just fob me off because someone didn't do their job right, or is there really an issue with supply?

If this is the case, DSPs need to be made aware and so do many clients who this will effect.

I remember being given the actual Subutex brand a couple of weeks ago too, so yeah, they knew, which is infuriating.

Who signed off on this and thought it was ok to send someone away with not even one day's dose?. I am pretty shocked and pissed off at them to be honest.

« Last Edit: January 03, 2018, 05:05:43 AM by Foxbrush »
When they come downstairs from their Ivory Towers, idealists are very apt to walk straight into the gutter. ~Logan Pearsall Smith

John Divney

• Global Moderator
Re: Generic 2mg Bupe shortage/manufacturing problem?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2018, 10:40:35 PM »
Treated like shite as ususal by DSPs and their crappy staff.

Complain like a good one to the Local Pharmaceutical committee, the PHE lead, the Local Authority and Brenda from the bread shop..!
Ask the pharmacist for 2mg temgesic pills, he will have hundreds and they are just the same without the 'subutex' marketing.

Foxbrush

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2018, 05:11:24 AM »
I am not blaming CGL for this to be fair, I am blaming Boots. Someone signed off on that script and left that note, obviously oblivious to what they were signing off on and saying they 'owed' me.

CGL actually got it sorted so I didn't have to travel 5 miles out of town to another Boots.

I will be making sure Boots always have everything in before I go from now on, if they get sick of me asking they need to blame the person who messed up.

I've spoken to CGL and they said as far as they know there isn't a supply issue with the 2mg, but are looking into it.

If this ever happens to you, DO NOT accept any of the script unless it's your full amount, they were willing to palm me off with the .0.4mg ones, without a care in the world, probably so they could turn round and say 'we gave you your script'. Yeah ok if they'd given me enough 0.4mgs to make up one day's dose, I would have collected the rest the next day.

I am also making a written, formal complaint to Boots and demanding an explanation and an assurance it will not happen again. They need to be made aware of the potential consequences of messing one of these scripts up. Those consequences are potentially life threatening, as it could push someone back to using again. It's deplorable really. You cannot treat OST like a normal repeat script, you simply cannot 'owe' anyone these meds. I'm sure they would not expect anyone on OST to make this kind of complaint, but I'm not just doing it for me, it's the others it could effect to when they balls up scripts.

Also my script is one script given out in two parts, so if it goes wrong the week after the first lot is given out, I'm stuck at that pharmacy as they can't give the script back if it's already been dispensed.

I'm going to ask them to do it in two separate scripts and staple them together, I do not see why they can't do this, then if something does happen, I can go elsewhere.

I am really struggling with physical illness, I can't be doing with the added stress this is causing. Boots have no idea.
When they come downstairs from their Ivory Towers, idealists are very apt to walk straight into the gutter. ~Logan Pearsall Smith

simon

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2018, 02:49:40 PM »
It's possible they have a contract with one or two suppliers after negotiating a discount.

OP8S

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2018, 03:14:57 PM »
I've never heard the likes, an " owing note " on a OST script, like John said they probably had plenty of bupe in one form or another or at least could have sourced some from a nearby pharmacy. Certainly good reason to complain, it's a hard enough battle to keep your script these days. Last thing you need is a pharmacy that is unreliable. Whoever signed the owing note needs to be pulled up about it so they don't act so carelessly again.
" The problem with the world is that the fanatics are so sure of themselves while the wiser people acknowledge doubts "      Bertrand Russell

sapphire

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2018, 03:27:48 PM »
I used to be a Boots customer. I went in one day,to get a suspiciously small bag, along with an 'owing' note.

At the time I was on 5mg physeptone tablets. They had not even given me enough tabs for that day, and they said they 'didn't know' when they would get more in.

I tried to explain (as they well knew) that I needed 30 tablets every day. I had to end up calling the DSP who did the same for me, and directed me to another local chemist.

Seeing the good customer service, and friendly atmosphere at the other chemist, I changed to go there permanently.

Most of my experiences with Boots have been bad, so now i try to avoid the pharmacy side like a plague.

@Foxbrush, I'm glad your DSP were able to quickly sort this out for you! It's so stressful when there's a script related error.

Prun

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2018, 11:09:42 PM »
Hi All

Have had a warning pop-up not to post on an old topic, but the title seemed relevant.

I'm not sure how aware people are of the recent supply/manufacturing issues with buprenorphine, or if it has affected anyone's treatment. There are some very unusual things happening right now in terms of medication supply, the like of which I haven't seen since the diamorphine shortage a number of years ago. But this time affecting core treatment. From lofexidine disappearing from these shores (and unknown if will return), to now buprenorphine shortages and extraordinary price increases.

I wrote a briefing on this which may be of use to inform further, but not sure if I'm allowed to post external links. Be interested to hear if anyone has been affected.

OP8S

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2018, 10:01:03 AM »
Would't worry about old posts, forum is old & we use sellotape to keep it alive. It requires !
" The problem with the world is that the fanatics are so sure of themselves while the wiser people acknowledge doubts "      Bertrand Russell

simon

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2018, 01:18:13 PM »
Hi All

Have had a warning pop-up not to post on an old topic, but the title seemed relevant.

I'm not sure how aware people are of the recent supply/manufacturing issues with buprenorphine, or if it has affected anyone's treatment. There are some very unusual things happening right now in terms of medication supply, the like of which I haven't seen since the diamorphine shortage a number of years ago. But this time affecting core treatment. From lofexidine disappearing from these shores (and unknown if will return), to now buprenorphine shortages and extraordinary price increases.

I wrote a briefing on this which may be of use to inform further, but not sure if I'm allowed to post external links. Be interested to hear if anyone has been affected.

Posting external links is fine. I worry that when people warn of shortages that pharmacists panic buy.
Our LMC lead said leave it to them to sort out

Prun

« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2018, 08:39:52 PM »
Here is the briefing - the initial problem was a shortage, although the reasons behind it were not very clear. The main problem that followed was the unexpected cost increases. The situation is described in more detail below. Hopeful that it will resolve fully in the next few months.

https://www.changegrowlive.org/latest/news/buprenorphine-shortage

Jackwhan

« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2018, 03:54:49 PM »
Hi,

Thanks for passing on this information. I am currently prescribed 2x2mg + 1x0.4mg bupe per day.

Neither my community treatment service or the pharmacy have mentioned to me any potential risk to future supply - my last visit to the pharmacy was Wednesday 18th July and I have a key worker appoint. tomorrow so will ask.

How does this all work in terms of the cost implications for community drug treatment providers? Is it not the pharmacist of buys in the stock?

Would the fact I pay for my prescriptions make any difference? Would receiving all my script in 0.4mg tabs mitigate the risk as I have read this relates to the 2mg tablets?

I'm confused and concerned as methadone does not suit me at all - any further information/explanation would be gratefully received.

Thanks

simon

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2018, 06:30:10 PM »
Hi,

Thanks for passing on this information. I am currently prescribed 2x2mg + 1x0.4mg bupe per day.

Neither my community treatment service or the pharmacy have mentioned to me any potential risk to future supply - my last visit to the pharmacy was Wednesday 18th July and I have a key worker appoint. tomorrow so will ask.

How does this all work in terms of the cost implications for community drug treatment providers? Is it not the pharmacist of buys in the stock?

Would the fact I pay for my prescriptions make any difference? Would receiving all my script in 0.4mg tabs mitigate the risk as I have read this relates to the 2mg tablets?

I'm confused and concerned as methadone does not suit me at all - any further information/explanation would be gratefully received.

Thanks
I'd not worry, there's supply difficultlies often with drugs, there's different wholesalers and different manufacturers,sometimes the exchange rate means it's more profitable to sell drugs to Europe, sometimes it's cheaper to import, that's why sometimes it's aforeign name with English label stuck on.
Let the pharmacists do their job and they'll use a different supplier or phone a friend for some.

Jackwhan

« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2018, 06:39:41 PM »
Thanks Simon

Wise words from wise people = lower levels of anxiety :)

J

simon

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2018, 10:31:17 PM »
Warnings of shortages leads pharmacists to panic buy whch leads to shortages that wouldn't otherwise have occurred.

OP8S

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2018, 12:01:16 PM »
Seems no problem here, a recent adventure into our main ghetto where users are housed & I found out a few interesting facts.

Why do I rarely see people in the pharmacy/ DSP? apparently bupe is now the fashionable script offered by the DSP & is provided in a different pharmacy to meth. I wonder if they are trying to keep us seperated? MMT away from Recovery? Not that it's making 1 fig of a difference as users will swap up to 3x8mg for the price of a bag. As usual bupe is the more diverted medication, the opioid ant-agonist/blocker really has very little effect so those meant to be aiming for abstinence are just picking & choosing. A lot of my older meth head associates, completely skunnered with the last 5-6 years of treatment are just using when they feel like it & falling back on diverted subs when cash is tight or gear poor quality. Due to the bungled social experiment of the last few years they are adamant never to return to treatment.
I mentioned that after my shenanigins some staff had been replaced by more decent sorts who had heard of The OG's in an attempt to do my own outreach work, the nearest I came to a positive outcome was " I'd sooner rattle ". Seems that the local NHS, leaned heavily upon by the zero tolerance LA have really burnt bridges with us middle-aged plus users who will now carry on ducking & diving until the end. I'm begining to wonder if I've become Grandpa greenglug?
I will have to remain on meth because of other opioid analgesics prescribed, can't say I ever cared for bupe unless in emergency situations anyway.
I'm sad that so many older people have been forgottten about, they won't even be getting Naloxone kits now & are probably more likely to need them as they're using fent,brown with a lifetime of tolerance.
Apologies for goig off topic ,as usual.