Author Topic: De-tox timescale  (Read 677 times)

pyewhacker

De-tox timescale
« on: October 24, 2018, 11:01:13 AM »
Struggling to find clear info. After 10+ years of  70mg methadone I moved town where they insisted on daily pick-up. This was impossible as family would soon find. Using my "stash" I reduced from 70 to 1mg  over 6 months and stopped 10 days ago.
  What I need to know is when the (minor) symptoms are likely to stop?  It's the total insomnia that I am struggling with and it's sending me a little psychotic.
 Thanks for any advice  Pye.

John Divney

• Global Moderator
Re: De-tox timescale
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2018, 04:58:30 PM »
You should be beginning to feel okay really. That's a sensible reduction you did but its now when you need think clearly.
Have you signed on with a GP, go and suss him/her out. Buscopan is good for stomach pains and buspar for the old achy legs. Its been yonks since I detoxed but I always found I did okay getting off, two or three weeks....its the staying off thats hard. I think now I would seek some support locally, maybe through the drug service there. SMART groups or even NA. NA can be a bit whacky but before things get too heavy its another three or four weeks down the line. Do you have a job, it always helped me, and still does really, it gets you up and about and keeps your mind active. Flying on your own is the worst, get some sane, safe people around you, no old pals..!

Really shitty of the DSP to insist on daily, but that's how we get treated...like dirt. Why is it okay in one place and not the next, it stinks.

pyewhacker

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2018, 03:01:27 PM »
Thanks for your reply @John Divney. No sign of relief yet but as I said it's mild but the insomnia ( i blame the knee ache) that's wearing me. 16 days so far and my mind is mashed. Hopefully though i have sourced some nitrazipam for monday. Internet reckons 3 weeks but I'll believe It when it happens.  I don't do groups etc but my wife and I are pretty strong, we won't relapse.   I haven't detoxed for over 30 years and  that was cold turkey in a cell coming off a couple of grams of 80% smak daily., that was a bit rough.

OP8S

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2018, 02:18:12 PM »
We used to get a box of moggies once we actually came off all opiates when reducing. Dr told us to take 10mg/ night until finished to get us back into a sleep routine. Can't say that every patient did so but I didi find it helpful at the time. Very much doubt that anyone is offered benzo's these days, once you're off you're out the door as far as prescribing goes.
Good luck, you're nearly there.
" The problem with the world is that the fanatics are so sure of themselves while the wiser people acknowledge doubts "      Bertrand Russell

sapphire

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2018, 03:16:57 PM »
Hopefully the benzos will help, but just please be careful with them. I know if it was me., I just would not be able to stop myself caning them, especially if I was in the vulnerable position you're in when you've just reduced from methadone pretty quickly.

Using them over a short period to help sleep is totally understandable that you want to/need to do that, but just be careful it doesn't become anything you rely on too much.

Update us as to how you get on! Do they actually help you sleep? I hope so!!

OP8S

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2018, 02:10:41 PM »
Yes quite often they were taken by the handful especially if the person ( ::) ) wasn't entirely motivated to become abstinent & ended up scoring shortly afterwards. All home detoxes that I have done when I've used benzo's to try to help have taught me that it doesn't matter how many you take if you're in w/d, you won't sleep. Just end up still feeling awful but groggy at the same time. They can be a help to get your sleep pattern back once you have got opioids out of your system, though I doubt whether the DSP would still prescribe them these days.
" The problem with the world is that the fanatics are so sure of themselves while the wiser people acknowledge doubts "      Bertrand Russell

pyewhacker

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2018, 12:04:24 PM »
I didn't get the benzos but  i /we are still "clean" , over a month now. Just can't seem to get warm  but that's minor.
Thanks everyone for your advice and comments.  :)

misgog

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2018, 04:47:33 PM »
I didn't get the benzos but  i /we are still "clean" , over a month now. Just can't seem to get warm  but that's minor.
Thanks everyone for your advice and comments.  :)

Welcome to Winter in England sans drugs  ;D  , seriously though well done that's quite an achievement !

OP8S

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2018, 12:48:22 PM »
Soon be 2 months, then 3 ( obviously ). Once winter has passed we'll see the sun again & you'll hopefully warm up then. Keep yourself busy & it sounds like you'll get there. ;)

sapphire

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2018, 02:41:59 PM »
That's good going! The longer you stay opioid free the more you'll find that your body is able to regulate its core temp properly.
WD's, even minor ones can play havoc with making you constantly feel freezing then boiling with no happy medium!