Author Topic: Hancock's addiction strategy  (Read 478 times)

Jackwhan

Hancock's addiction strategy
« on: November 28, 2019, 05:38:04 PM »
Tory minister - Matt Hancock - announces impending strategy to reduce drug-related deaths and other addiction-related harms

Could this mean time-limited OST - after all, these deceased ageing drug users often have methadone in their system  :-\

Or am I over-reading between the lines?

OP8S

• Global Moderator
Re: Hancock's addiction strategy
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2019, 03:32:48 PM »
Surely that was the absolute flaw in the original Recovery Agenda, I've been told that nobody is interested in messing with my meds these days. I did have a 5 year battle with services which ended up with me threatining legal action though, not sure if I could go through it all again. Nobody forces people to remain maintained & if we are considered to be of a mature age surely we know what is best for us...just as other mature adults are treated. Another Torie Government will bring the country to it's knees, if we're not there already.
" The problem with the world is that the fanatics are so sure of themselves while the wiser people acknowledge doubts "      Bertrand Russell

sapphire

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2019, 12:34:40 PM »
Tory MMT policies are NEVER good. Have Thatcher and the last 10 years taught people nothing about how they view drug policy/drug treatment?!?!

OP8S

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2019, 03:44:01 PM »
We need to call to arms, Unionise, fight the power from the ground up. For that you need fit, healthy & stable soldiers. The kind that the current system of treatment & policies isn't producing. Even among other drug users " a junkie " often deserves no sympathy or support. Until the junkie is a family member. Drug users need to provide the bulk of information needed after all it's a service designed for our needs NOT the needs of some others who have experience of the way of life & are now recovered. The scene constantly changes, they wanted abstinence, maybe I don't
" The problem with the world is that the fanatics are so sure of themselves while the wiser people acknowledge doubts "      Bertrand Russell

sapphire

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2020, 01:56:12 PM »
You're so right OP. It's very difficult to feel energised to fight anything non-subjective when you're facing physical/mental issues and crap from your own DSP.

Scotland now has Europe's highest number of drug deaths, which is to my mind a damning verdict of the policies of people like McKegany et al.

What did they expect all those folks were going to do when faced with enforced reductions and horrifically sub therapeutic doses?!

England is only a hair better, I expect though that now we have a new gov't with large majority we will see a new drug policy pretty soon.

OP8S

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2020, 04:14:26 PM »
Yip, McKegany has been sticking his oar in. Actually got air time on a BBC Scotland with a Scottish rapper (? I think that's what the young fellow does????) goes by the name of Loki. The pair of them did a documentary slagging of meth, saying what a total failure it is & we're all dying because of methadone. I was pissed off with the younger fellow more than McKegany, I'd of thought he'd have a better attitude towards drugs. pretty sure he's done his fair share of E, coke, party drugs etc.
Drug aparthied gets my back up, how can it be okay to use one illicit substance but not another. Drug's is Drugs. Each to their own!

sapphire

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2020, 02:04:23 PM »
With Scotland having the highest number if drug deaths in Europe, and that number increasing coinciding with the lackmif drug treatment funding, andMIT being more difficult to get on, and stay on, a script, it doesnt take a rocket scientist to work out that austerity and lack of funding/access to OST is having an affect on the rising number of drug deaths. It's just bloody frustrating.

At my DSP, there are 2 patients a WEEK dying, mostly because they're potentiating their scripts with alcohol, benzos, other opioids, because the UK in general will not allow Drs to prescribe optimal doses. Look at America where they have optimal dosing (for the most part), patients arent using on top, the % of patients in work is amazing, unlike the UK where its pathetic.

THAT'S why OST isn't working. Because the UK is doing it at half measures, with no proper funding, and then turns round and blames the person with the dependence when they 'fail'.
People can't 'win' at a game thats fundamentally stacked against them.

That Loki guy us a twat. Ive seen him speaking about drugs and other social issues before, and he does not have the first clue.

If no one in Scotland can put 2 and 2 together and realise that as long as all Nicola Sturgeon cares about is independence,  then Scots will continue to live and die in poverty.

OP8S

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2020, 10:42:05 AM »
It's become a sickening carry on of political showboating North of the border.
Basically " THEY LIE, WE DIE! "
Still no DCR in Glasgow for the homeless, pathetic, but hey we're only junkies not cool middle class coke heads, or students out dropping ecstasy etc. Drug Aparthied & hypocrisy. >:( >:( >:(

sapphire

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2020, 05:21:34 PM »
I really think, from an outsiders perspective,  Nicola Sturgeon needs to pull her head out of her arse, stop banging on about independence for 2 seconds and look at the social issues that are going to the wall under her leadership because all she's hellbent on us another referendum and having her legacy as being the woman who 'gave Scotland it's independance.

How about giving Scotland some of your time and energy NIcola, instead of wittering on about independence and how bad England is all the time.

She's a fucking bellend.

OP8S

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2020, 01:53:00 PM »
Absolutely. Now we have COVID-19 all talk of Scotlands huge DRD problem will be forgotten about.

sapphire

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2020, 11:07:27 AM »
I hope not. I hope it means that more people want to access services, so that might make then safer(if they're all on a script)

I was astounded how high the DRD numbers are and it made me wonder, how many of them were people who used to be in treatment but left/got kicked due to the Draconian laws around methadone and it's prescribing.

Scotland seems to have gone a bit nuts about basically forcing people out of treatment. The whole UK was bad before, but lately Scotland seems to be taking it to new heights.  >:( :'(

OP8S

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2020, 11:13:00 AM »
I've still got my digital recording from the service telling me that I could remain maintained & that all choices were mine to make. Shame it had to come to that but i'll not be bullied into an early grave. The stress of it all & the "coincidence" that I lost my job due to my " situation " ( they wouldn't tell me what the situation was ) still leaves a bitter taste in my mouth.
Anyway, I've got to catch the bus to the pharmacy now & see if I'm brave enough to venture into Tesco's, 15minute wait at the door I've been told ::) but I'm out of brocoli Dr.John Campbell's recipe for soup was very nice & if it keeps my immune system in tip top shape all the better ;D ;D ;D

Odysseus

« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2020, 11:55:23 AM »
That was appalling appalling mate, I remember your "situation" well because I was experiencing a similar one that took nearly 5 years to sort and it has not gone away either.  My line manager  retires early next year and it could very easily start back up.  I would have been lost if it wasn't for the support I got here off yourself, Sapphire and others.  Sapphire put me in contact with Release who where excellent even though I am not in the UK. 

OP8S

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2020, 10:21:46 AM »
Yes I remember as well. Now they seem to want to have nothing to do with me which is okay on one hand but I do worry that it will rear it's ugly head again, luckily I've got a great GP on side but even his hands can get tied when pressure is put on him from above. The scripts keep coming through so as long as it stays like that I hope everything will work out.