Author Topic: Dr John Marks  (Read 392 times)

Restless

Dr John Marks
« on: April 03, 2020, 07:02:19 PM »
Forgive my language, it is not directed at site members but I think your opinions are important & relevant.

My mum (who is no longer alive) was a patient of Dr Marks in the 80ís receiving a heroin/cocaine script. She spoke very highly of him.

Recently I was speaking to my dad, who to give you some context has always been very anti-drugs & has the natural naivety that people not involved in the drugs scene have.

He was telling me about one visit to the clinic  when he accompanied my mum to see Dr Marks & my mum briefly left the consultation room for some reason & Dr Marks turned to my Dad & said ďWhat is a decent man like you doing with people like this? These people will manipulate, lie & steal at any opportunityĒ

When he said this I felt torn. Firstly as his son I can see how Dr Marks could see the contrast in how my dad would of spoke/acted compared to his usual patients e.g he wouldnít understand vocabulary like rattling in the withdrawal sense & as I love my dad he clearly wasnít meaning him any harm. But beyond the naivety, he had/has full capacity to make his decisions over relationship choices.

Now for the language. Who the fuck is John Marks to describe service users in this way? Yes, a lot of people who access drug treatment have lied, manipulated etc in their pursuit of their drug of choice, but he chose to work with those people. A lot of medical nurses/doctors past & present would choose not to work in drug treatment, but that doesnít give those people the right to speak about them in that way.

Cobalt1974

Re: Dr John Marks
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2020, 01:36:14 PM »
I was a patient of John marks in widnes and I can only say good things about him the way he treated my mum and dad was exceptional

OP8S

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2020, 06:27:05 PM »
What he allegedly said to Restless's father does sound pretty out of order though. I've only seen the fellow on TV so can't make an opinion. Everyone puts there foot in there mouth at some time & lots of Dr's prescribe to patients but have very low opinions of the patient group, our's especially.
" The problem with the world is that the fanatics are so sure of themselves while the wiser people acknowledge doubts "      Bertrand Russell

Cobalt1974

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2020, 03:43:46 PM »
I am not trying to apologise for what he said to this persons farther and could believe him saying something like that after what some of the widnes clients  put him through with our antics lol but only to say he did help me and a lot of people at the clinic and treated me with a lot of respect he helped my parents aswell during a terrible time for them which I admiringly caused and regret but thankfully everything is good with them these days

OP8S

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2020, 01:23:50 PM »
Christ if I'd a quid for every time I put my foot in it I certainly wouldn't be sitting with an old laptop in the cold North.
" The problem with the world is that the fanatics are so sure of themselves while the wiser people acknowledge doubts "      Bertrand Russell

misgog

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2020, 03:36:16 PM »
I've worked 25 yrs in substance misuse and have only ever heard this chap spoken of with reverence and he must have had balls of steel to do what he did, that said, we all can have a dodgy day and make a poorly judged statement.   

Restless

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2020, 07:45:46 PM »
Thanks for the replies.

I agree we can all have our off days & say the wrong thing even if itís with good intentions. I was only a baby at the time, so didnít meet him. I also think Dr Marks was struck off unfairly as a political scapegoat by the Tories.

I donít know if it was an urban myth, but Iím sure I remember hearing that he originally wanted to work with schizophrenia patients & got the heroin patients as the short straw.

Cobalt, you may have the answer to this question. I can see how some patients then & now would benefit from a heroin script, but I canít rationally see a cocaine script having any harm reduction. I had an addiction to cocaine so I can see the drugs appeal, but not as a way to stabilise a person.

misgog

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2020, 11:03:10 AM »
Thanks for the replies.

I agree we can all have our off days & say the wrong thing even if itís with good intentions. I was only a baby at the time, so didnít meet him. I also think Dr Marks was struck off unfairly as a political scapegoat by the Tories.

I donít know if it was an urban myth, but Iím sure I remember hearing that he originally wanted to work with schizophrenia patients & got the heroin patients as the short straw.

Cobalt, you may have the answer to this question. I can see how some patients then & now would benefit from a heroin script, but I canít rationally see a cocaine script having any harm reduction. I had an addiction to cocaine so I can see the drugs appeal, but not as a way to stabilise a person.

Thatcher bowed to pressure from the Yanks in this case

OP8S

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2020, 02:04:12 PM »
Yet again