Author Topic: Forced Subutex treatment instead of methadone  (Read 79 times)

mrs watson

Forced Subutex treatment instead of methadone
« on: July 08, 2020, 07:52:14 PM »
[Hi Folks,
I am asking this question because a good friend who suffers with anxiety is very worried.
He has a phone appointment tommorow with one of the medics at our local clinic in Wigan. Last year he was prescribed methadone 70ml and had been on it for 3 years when he missed a appointment his script was stopped.  He got a letter through his door 5 week ago because someone had referred him to the clinic. We are unsure who referred him but think it's the local pcos. He was given a key worker who is a ex user. He is a bit of a arse hole himself and I know him from the old days,however he phoned my friend today and more or less told him that they don't prescribe methadone to anyone who is not on it already and that he will most likely be given subutex.
The thought of subutex is really worrying my friend who suffers from anxiety quite bad and its through the roof now because he has tried subutex before. They were not prescribed to him but non the less he has tried them. He came out with a rash all over which is a allergic reaction so I have explained to him that he explains this to the medic who takes his telone appointment and they will have to perscribe methadone. He is scared to do this though in case they turn round and say they cant perscribe him anything as they only pers cribe subutex. Can anyone give us advice
cfwatson

OP8S

• Global Moderator
Re: Forced Subutex treatment instead of methadone
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2020, 04:29:11 PM »
Hi, sorry for the wait. As usual this seems very odd to me, first place he should never have had his script stopped for missing one appointment, secondly who referred him to the service?? Thirdly, if you feel that you are going to have issues with a particular key you should have the right to bring this up ( surely they have more than one person to take the case ). Some people don't get along with subs/bupe that's fact. I'm one of them, I also need a decent dose of meth well above the 40mls that you might convert to bupe. If I myself was in this fellows shoes I would write down these misgivings as politely & thoroughly as possible before phoning the DSP management, care coordinator, someone well above the level of a key worker. I'd inform them that I'd be recording the conversation or ask for a 3rd party to participate ( possibly yourself if you feel that you can?), either that or go in for a face to face meeting which can be recorded or have someone to accompany him. Explain the problems/worries & stick to the fact that he wants a meth script, if the DSP are unwilling to supply one ask where he can get one. If it ends up in a stand off & a script is refused for some reason get them to explain WHY? If all else fails & you're in England then take it to RELEASE. I'm sure they will sort out the situation. Sounds as if they're trying to pull a fast one to me & won't want to have RELEASE on the phone asking why their DSP won't offer what is a legal & effective medication for O.S.T.
Sorry I can't be of more help, but this is what I would do in the circumstance. Do you know what DSP it is that appears to be forcing someone in need of medication onto one which the patient finds unsuitable? I can't say that I've heard of any that will only provide subutex before, it's his treatment & should be his choice of medication & suitable dose!
Keep us informed of the situation if you can.
" The problem with the world is that the fanatics are so sure of themselves while the wiser people acknowledge doubts "      Bertrand Russell

misgog

Re: Forced Subutex treatment instead of methadone
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2020, 09:53:01 AM »
A lot of services are choosing Subutex as their first line option for new to treatment service users during Covid as there is much reduced face to face monitoring, safer option and will reduce risk in their eyes, I should think there is opportunity to argue for Methadone if someone feels it is better for them ( or at least there should be )