Author Topic: Script tied in to group work  (Read 7575 times)

sapphire

• Administrator
Re: Script tied in to group work
« Reply #30 on: June 14, 2014, 01:37:19 PM »
With non NHS providers, whilst PALS may not be that much use ( I have found them to be OK though) there are still quite a few things that a patient can do to complain, and they still fall under the CQC jurisdiction so are bound by the same regulations basically as the NHS providers.

It's not down to a nurse of Dr to inform the DVLA about people getting prescribed methadone or subs, unless they feel that the person is a danger to themselves or other people, and that does not constitute most people on a script.

If I were the GP, I would have been furious, as there isn't anything (I don't think) in the guidelines that says a Dr has a duty to inform the DVLA. 

Filskit

« Reply #31 on: June 14, 2014, 03:34:30 PM »
The prescribing GP was furious, maybe I'm wrong but after the nurse returned to work the complaint against the GP was made. Possibly a bit of a grudge ? I can't say for sure, but I know that nobody in treatment made the complaint against him so the finger points in the direction of the nurse in my eyes.
At my last heated appointment with Flabba the same nurse was present but could barely look me in the eye, let alone say anything about my consistent stability & good character.
Any therapeutic relationship I may of previously had with the service has now disappeared & I wouldn't trust them as far as I could throw Flabba the hut himself !

sapphire

• Administrator
« Reply #32 on: June 15, 2014, 01:49:36 PM »
Have people had their licenses suspended by the DVLA then until they can get the medical and blood tests etc done? That must have had an impact on people that worked?

Filskit

« Reply #33 on: June 15, 2014, 04:47:36 PM »
yes, some lost their jobs as a licence was essential. Other's just because of the stigma when employers found out about their substance use. The amount of people being treated diminished quite quickly. You're guaranteed a higher level of confidentiality from your local dope dealer as far as inter-agency information sharing goes. One friend has reduced to 20ml daily in an effort to regain his licence, this is not a high enough dose to stop him from giving the occassional positive test result & so he is caught in a viscous circle. Still trying to get his licence back for over a year now. The nurse who took it upon themselves to contact the DVLA must of boosted the illicit dope market well in just one action. Not only that but destroyed the trust that the GP had built up with users over the last 15-20 years. I believe that was the start of the rot setting in, things haven't been the same since & it has now become a matter of " them & us " .

sapphire

• Administrator
« Reply #34 on: June 16, 2014, 02:14:09 PM »
That is really bad, and I think that if I was the GP, that I would be speaking to my partner about getting her fired, or at the least severely disciplined so that it's on her employment record. For one person to single handily destroy all patient/service trust, and lose people their jobs is just unacceptable, and I wouldn't want to work with someone like that.

Scallywag

« Reply #35 on: June 16, 2014, 04:02:53 PM »
Re: The DVLA, our service is quite clear. We advise the client to inform them and the consequences of not doing e.g invalid insurance if caught out.
As for the bigger issue of drug users and health. I am appauled that drug users are treated in a way no other user of health would be. Medication is reduced whilst inpatient, the level of distrust that they are taking their meds as per... "because they're not supervised are they, so you don't know they are taking that?" is the most common excuse for discrimination I get.
Nobody sees any patient take their meds at home usually, but drug users are the exception it seems. Makes my blood boil.

As a group of health users they need to fight back through the right channels rather than just 'accept and resent'. There are clear laws that give protection but unless used, they won't change anything.

Filskit

« Reply #36 on: June 16, 2014, 04:29:43 PM »
The other partners will have as little to do with substance users as possible. We used to have a fantastic nurse as well as the other one. She got laid off. Service users were told it was a financial decision, that they couldn't afford 2. A month later another one was taken on. The nurse that was laid off was very pro-maintenance / HR ,the one that replaced her was a lot younger with a lot less experience when it came to the use of opioids. Less of a thorn in the side to the nurse who has caused all the trouble in the first place.
This is all just the opinion of those in treatment of course, but it does seem like the nurse who reported everyone to the DVLA was given a dressing down by our prescribing GP & then went on the sick with stress ( it must be the least stressful DSP in the country ! ). Then on returning to work lodged a complaint against the GP, partly because of my consistent positives for prescribed pain relief as well as benzodiazepines which were started by hospital consultants years before my use of opioid drug's & are not a mis-use issue.

Working only in the substance mis-use service the nurse does not have access to my general health records so would not of necessarily known why I was prescribed these medications.
If it wasn't because of this nurse lodging a complaint just to get back at the GP then I don't believe that I would be having to go through all this uncertainty & having to place my own personal complaints at this time.

I've never seen this particular service in such a bloody shambles as it is now, who is it that suffers ? Not the nurse , not Flabba the hut. It's those in treatment , those who will not engage in treatment because of the reputation the service now has.

Filskit

« Reply #37 on: June 16, 2014, 04:51:36 PM »
Of course I cannot say for sure that it was the nurse who made the complaint...though every patient I have spoken to is of the same opinion. At first I was told it had been flagged up in some form of audit , but have been told many lies since. However the situation has come about it has ruined what was a good service built up by a non-judgemental & reasonable GP who would do his best for his patients.
After years of studying in the field of substance use & abuse I would hope he will return, saying that though I would understand if he told them where to stick it after the way he's been undermined.

OP8S

• Global Moderator
« Reply #38 on: June 16, 2014, 06:35:42 PM »
There you go.
http://www.nmc-uk.org/Publications/Standards/The-code/Introduction/

Would Filskit's GP be able to help them with their complaint Simon ? If there's anybody who knows the details of why Filskit is receiving the medication then surely their own GP is best placed to explain the reasons why & will be able to provide the relevant documentation.
" The problem with the world is that the fanatics are so sure of themselves while the wiser people acknowledge doubts "      Bertrand Russell

simon

• Global Moderator
« Reply #39 on: June 16, 2014, 11:23:29 PM »
Would Filskit's GP be able to help them with their complaint Simon ? If there's anybody who knows the details of why Filskit is receiving the medication then surely their own GP is best placed to explain the reasons why & will be able to provide the relevant documentation.
There is no reason why not if he wants to help.  The NMC tend to drag their feet over hearings but they seem a lot harsher than the GMC and if you look at past hearings it seems very rare they don't suspend or remove people from the register.

sapphire

• Administrator
« Reply #40 on: June 17, 2014, 01:20:28 PM »
I would imagine that the GP theoretically could help, but I'd imagine that the service might try bamboozling him with guidelines and current prescribing policy. So he'd have to be up to speed on that.